Author Topic: Stalling/Stumbling - Carb issue?  (Read 5880 times)

Offline 86project

Stalling/Stumbling - Carb issue?
« on: April 17, 2008, 09:06:35 PM »
Here goes - 86 C10 - auto - 305 -  Truck idles poorly, but once it warms up, it seems to run fine (but a little rich)...It does smoke at start up (leaking valve seals I think), but I haven't had any problems after it warms up - until now.  I was driving about 45, truck running fine and then it cut out...I let off the gas and it picked back up....drove it back home (~10 miles) and it pulls normal to ~35-40mph and it starts cutting out again, consistently.....even holding the throttle consitent.....no problem under heavy throttle as long as it has had time to catch up until I get into higher mph....revs normally under no load....

I am not experienced with carbs at all, but after reading some other posts, I think this maybe my issue.  Do you guys think this is the right diagnosis? Any quick checks I can do to see if I need to purchase another carb?

Hope this rambling makes sense to someone.....

Offline gezn2

Re: Stalling/Stumbling - Carb issue?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »
Fuel filters are cheap, I've seen a dirty one cause symptoms similar to what you're describing :(
While I was under the hood I'd look around and see if any vacuum lines were cracked open, you want to make sure the basics are right ;D
It sounds like a fuel issue, if a fresh filter doesn't square it away then deeper digging is needed, if it was running semi-okay before this stuff started happening you might be just fine with some adjustments or 'kit'.........

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »
Not knowing what you've started out with an what you have I would suggest do a tune up and make sure you have no kinked fuel lines. Clean out the carb and see what it does.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »
well we had a problem pretty close to yours in our 84, it ran rough and had troubles idling, and worse when cold, after warmed up was fine.

Sometimes it cut in and out, random speeds and throttle, and loads.

Smelled funny, like gas alot, or burn your eyes behind it in enclosed spaces, and stink, I replaced and checked everything, plugs kept coming out white and clean, it was wayy WAY too lean.

Mixture screws didn't help, carb cleaner sprayd in and on carb while running, and in tank carb cleaner, feul filter and pump, new lines, unkinked any lines particually kinked or closed, still nothing.

I ended up rebuilding an edelbrock for it and it works great now NO problems at all.
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Offline gbskunk2006

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:32:09 AM »
Don't rule out carb "freezing".  I live in Vancouver, Canada, and from about late October until early May, when the temperature dips below 50 degrees (that's 10c) in the morning, and it's damp or has been raining, my truck will run the pits for the first 10 - 15 minutes.  Once the engine has had a chance to warm up it runs like a charm.

Because it's so predictable, I sometimes will go out and start her up, then go back inside to finish my cup of coffee knowing very well that in about 5 - 10 minutes it'll stall out all on its own.  I won't go out right away as I think the heat from the engine now effectively warms the carb up.  Once I'm ready to go, I'll just fire her up and away I go :)

The long term fix is to ensure that the hose from your exhaust manifold to the horn on the air cleaner housing is intact.  Secondly, the heat activated sensor that operates a flap within the horn works (this is where I think my problem lies).  Theoretically, that flap should be closed when cold thus preventing the carb from drawing in the cold damp\moist air, or at least until the engine is sufficiently warm enough to counter the affects of "carb freezing".

Short term fix.  Wire that flap closed shut until late spring\summer.  I did this on the recommendation from the carb mech who rebuilt my carb for me.  Of course, your engine performance suffers a little but at least you won't be embarrassed by your truck stalling at every intersection on the way to work :)
86 GMC C15, 4.3 Litre V6, TH400
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6879.0
90 Toyota SR5 4X4 Ext Cab V6 5 speed
99 Toyota Solara SLE

Offline bmaier

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 04:08:57 AM »
i had some similar symptoms/problems with my pickup and it turned out being my fuel pump, $25 to fix.
Are you just gonna lay there and bleed or are you gonna cowboy up?

1979 Chevy Bonanza K10, Shortbox, 350/350, 4" lift, 35's
1979 Chevy Silverado C10, Shortbox, 305/350

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 09:35:56 AM »
gb skunk, you shouldn't have to wire your thermostatic air cleaner shut if it's working correctly. I recently made a post on how it works.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 86project

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys....I was researching last night and saw a post somewhere on Q-jets that said - if you have poor vacuum due to a worn cam or bad valves that it could lead to this type of "carb problem" due to the spring being too heavy for the vacuum.  Any thoughts on this theory?

ps...I just replaced the fuel pump and installed new plugs ~ 3 mths ago....I think I'll replace the fuel filter, clean the carb and see what happens.....

Swims, your story sounds very familiar, keep your fingers crossed, maybe I'll get out of this cheap!

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 09:39:40 PM »
check the plugs, see if they are black, grey or white, that'll tell you how the mixture is.
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Offline Fordeatinz71

• 78k miles and counting
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 09:52:22 PM »
i had an '86 Z28 with a 305/4bbl that started doing this...turned out it was the "fuel sock" at the bottom of the fuel pickup...a.k.a. the in-tank filter...i "fixed" it by using a blow gun, sticking it up the fuel line that came from the tank and blew the sock into the tank...it wasn't the RIGHT way, but it worked...lol
1991 Chevy Silverado K1500 ECSB, 350, 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.42's, exhaust work...
1983 GMC Sierra K1500 SWB-sold :(

Offline gbskunk2006

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 12:16:24 AM »
gb skunk, you shouldn't have to wire your thermostatic air cleaner shut if it's working correctly. I recently made a post on how it works.

VileZambonie,

What is the link to your posting?

Thx
86 GMC C15, 4.3 Litre V6, TH400
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6879.0
90 Toyota SR5 4X4 Ext Cab V6 5 speed
99 Toyota Solara SLE

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »
There is a search feature at the top of the page to help you find stuff...

Offline 86project

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 08:47:56 AM »
I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned out the carb and found that one of the "nubs" was cracked on my Thermostatic vacuum (?) (the thing on the manifold in front of the carb).....could a vacuum leak cause this problem? I replace this unit and the issue still is happening but not as frequently....plugs are a bit coated with blow by....and when I stomp on it, it stumbles until I let off and then it'll pick back up....I have another Q-jet that I bought, do you think its worth putting the other carb on it while I try to "rebuild" the other one? could it be bad floats/jets?  Or do you think its something else?  I doon't want to go through the trouble if its a good chance its something else....