Author Topic: Wiring harness swap  (Read 2199 times)

Offline PatrickM

Wiring harness swap
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I have a 1990 V2500. Sadly the interior was set on fire  :'(. I have a engine and dash harness from a 1988 2wd suburban and I'm thinking about cutting the bulkhead off the 1988 harness and splicing it onto my 1990 harness. I was wondering if all of the wire colors are the same between the harnesses? I would assume they are but I just want to make sure. Also what would it take to be able to use a 1990 cluster? I assume that the plug is the same with the exception of the wire for the speedo. Thank yall for yalls help.

Offline roundhouse

Re: Wiring harness swap
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 08:39:48 AM »
Just need to get a wiring diagram for both and compare carefully

Not sure you even have to cut at the bulkhead
It should pull apart after you remove the bolt in the center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PatrickM

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »
I have tried looking at the wiring diagrams that are available on this forum but my internet has been really slow and the pdf won't load. The bulkheads for each harness are different for whatever reason and that is why it needs to be cut and spliced.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »
Patrick, have a friend download the files for you and transfer them to a flash drive.  The factory wiring and repair manuals will prove invaluable.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)