Author Topic: My 87R10 Longbed  (Read 4087 times)

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
My 87R10 Longbed
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
Be easy fellas, shes a work in progress, but shes stillllll "purty."

My grandfather left it to me when he passed. The front end damage came from a Honda running a light and getting tboned by the R10. As you can see from the front end, damage to the fender still visible. I'ma get on the aesthetic stuff after i get the mech. stuff str8. But, thats my baby, ive taken great care of her since ive had her. Like a child. Ima get rid of the burnt orange paint job eventually, but that falls in line with getting the rest of the body work done first.

Im just glad shes back running after a 3 1/2 year layoff with a lot of love and a good deal of work this weekend. Next weekend = dropping the trans pan and replacing fluid/gasket/filter,  couple weeks will be reluctantly taking it to a muffler shop to go from single to dual exhaust/dual muffler system. The question then will be, dynomax, magnaflow or flowmasters?

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: My 87R10 Longbed
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »
Nice stance!
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline jacknife

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »
 Good luck with the project, always more enjoyable when it is sentamental.

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 08:44:45 PM »
I wish i could say its dropped for looks, but, my grandfather lost one of his legs motorcycle racing, so he had to drop it so he could get in/out easier. He used the truck to drive to racetracks and deliver the wheels he repaired. It still looks mean though imo.

I just need to replace the leaf springs sometime soon, everything underneath is kinda rusty. I gotta take the bed off and go to town sandblasting. I'd love to powdercoat it all, but I gotta get a decent system to do so, I'd rather do it myself. Northern and Harbor Supply(think they're just local to atlanta) sell some fairly cheap systems to do all that.

My dad hates working on it since its dropped, he's kind of a big guy, lol, so he curses the heck out of it anytime he works on it. Its kinda funny. He's a diehard Ford guy, so naturally he finds any and every reason to bash Chevrolets amidst cursing/working on it.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:02:13 AM »
     Nice that your grandfather left it for you.  Damage looks to be only cosmetic and not structural, so if that is the case at least it only requires replacing and aligning new parts.
     Make sure you get your dad to help you out on the repairs.   ;)
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 06:14:21 PM »
     Nice that your grandfather left it for you.  Damage looks to be only cosmetic and not structural, so if that is the case at least it only requires replacing and aligning new parts.
     Make sure you get your dad to help you out on the repairs.   ;)

Yeah, its all cosmetic. A 1990 something honda decided to pull out in front of my grandfather and he tboned em, all you see damage wise is it, other than a replacement bumper. Chevrolet - 1, Honda - 0.

My dad helped with things when i was in atlanta, but now im 290 mi away, so it all falls on me now. Repair manuals, this forum + search function and google will help you get up to speed.