Author Topic: 1985 SUBURBAN TAILGATE MOTOR PROBLEMS  (Read 18975 times)

Offline 85BURBAN

1985 SUBURBAN TAILGATE MOTOR PROBLEMS
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »

I HAVE POWER TO THE MOTOR IT SOUNDS LIKE THE MOTOR WANTS TO MOVE BUT NOTHING HAPPENS  I FIGURE I NEED A NEW MOTOR JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS FOUND ANY ONLINE CHEAP ALL I CAN FIND ARE THE ONES FOR THE DOORS AND I DONT THINK THERE THE SAME OR IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOE TO GET THE WINDOW MOVING ID REALLY APPRECIATE IT

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 1985 SUBURBAN TAILGATE MOTOR PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »
I am guessing it is up and won't go down?  Have you pulled the cover to see if it is binding anywhere?  You can get power motors from Autozone fairly cheap!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »
You can operate the regulator using a drill to verify it's working
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 85BURBAN

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »
HOW AND WHERE DO I USE THE DRIIL TO CHECK IT IVE READ ENOUGH ABOUT PEOPLE BREAKING THE GLASS AND AM A LITTLE  TIMID ABOUT DOING IT MYSELF

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »
TURN CAPS OFF.

remove the cable from the motor and turn the cable forward and rearward with the drill. If the mechanical regulator and glass move up and down correctly then the problem is either the motor or the wiring.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 85BURBAN

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
vile,
   where is the cable located i have the cover off the tailgate i have power at the plug i just dont see a cable attached to the motor or regulator should i pull the motor if so will the window stay up or should i brace it maybe i just not seeing something

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 08:41:45 AM »
I thought you had a blazer for some reason. you probably have the dual arm regulator. There is a bulletin on these....

CHEVROLET NUMBER: 87-T-51

SECTION: 10 - Body Section

DATE: January, 1987

SUBJECT: TAILGATE WINDOW ALIGNMENT

MODELS: 1984-1987 C/K-R/V JIMMY/BLAZER

Some 1984-1987 C/K - R/V Jimmy/Blazer models equipped with a power tailgate window may experience a tailgate window that operates slowly or does not fully return to its upward or closed position. This condition can be caused by misalignment of the rear tailgate window, cable, guide pins, sash assembly, regulator assembly or the tailgate. The following checks and adjustments should be used to correct this condition.

1. Battery Condition - Check the charge of the battery while the engine is running and also when the engine is stopped. A low battery charge can cause the window to move slowly.
Figure No. 1 - Rubber Wedge

2. Rubber Wedge - Some models have a rubber wedge (5" long) installed at the base of the roof housing between the window track and the glass run seal. If equipped with the wedge, remove it and glue the glass run seal to the roof using weather strip adhesive (P/N 12345097) or equivalent (see Figure No. 1).
Figure No. 2 - Cable Running Below Lower Window Stop

Figure No. 3 - Holding Tab Mounted on Tailgate

3. Cable Assembly - The cable assembly should not interfere with the movement of the window. The cable should run below the lower window stop and through the holding tab (clip) mounted on the tailgate (see Figures No. 2 and 3). Any tight bends in the cable will reduce the power transferred to the regulator assembly.
Figure No. 4 - Checking Window Regulator and Left Arm

4. Window Regulator - Check window regulator and left regulator arm for any binding (see Figure No. 4). Marks will be visible where the regulator arm and sash have contacted. If left regulator arm is catching on the window sash, carefully bend regulator arm as required. Check the meshing of the regulator teeth. An overly tight meshing will cause unnecessary binding and the regulator assembly should be replaced.

5. Window and Sash Assembly - Remove glass and sash assembly for inspection. This can be accomplished by removing the four bolts that connect the sash assembly to the regulator arms.
Figure No. 5 - Centered Sash on Glass

- If sash is not centered on glass, remove the sash and center it on the glass assembly (see Figure No. 5).

- Remove any excess sash filler at the ends of the sash assembly.
Figure No. 6 - Glass and Sash Channel Guide

- Check the angle of the sash channel guides to ensure they follow the curvature of the glass and sash channel (see Figure No. 6). If adjustment is required, carefully bend the guides to the same curvature as the glass and sash channel. Ensure that the guides travel through the channel smoothly.
Figure No. 7 - Tailgate Window

6. Tailgate Glass - Check curvature of the tailgate window. Lay straight edge on glass and observe the clearance between straight edge and glass at center of window (see Figure No. 7). If clearance exceeds 1/4 of an inch replace the glass.

7. Ground Strap - Install a ground strap (12 gauge wire) from the tailgate to the frame. Attachment can be made from one of the tailgate hinge bolts to one of the holes in the rear frame crossmember. Use a star washer with each bolt to provide good metal to metal contact. Make sure the ground strap does not become kinked when the tailgate is closed. Ensure that the motor is grounded properly to the tailgate. This can be accomplished by replacing one of the window regulator motor bolts with a zinc chromate coated bolt, P/N 9419004.
8. Tailgate Fit To Body - Check flushness and height of tailgate to the rear quarter panels. If the top of the tailgate is misaligned (in or out), loosen the strikers on the inside of the rear quarter panels and adjust accordingly. If alignment (in or out) is off on the bottom of the tailgate, loosen hinges and adjust as required.
Figure No. 8 - Closed Tailgate Window

9. Window Centering - Loosen the two channel adjusting bolts on each side of the tailgate (see Figure No. 8). Close tailgate and run window up and down. Open tailgate enough to access the adjustment bolts and tighten.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:58:11 PM by VileZambonie »
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline stkcode

• http://53truck.ez15loan.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 10:41:51 PM »
@VileZambonie: Do you happen to have the figure images for this service bulletin (figure no 1,2,3...etc)?

Thanks.
1953 Chevy 3100
1991 Chevy Suburban R1500

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
yes. I can email it to you so I don't have to host the images or just google the TSB.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 11:10:46 AM »
Email them to me and I will post them Vile.  I can host them on the site.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:58:35 PM »
Please see the edit. I updated the post.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »
You want me to copy those to free your photobucket?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 03:18:07 PM »
No I don't care I was just too busy to do it before is all.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)