Author Topic: Bad plugs?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Tazman

Bad plugs?
« on: December 01, 2016, 06:10:44 PM »
I changed my plugs two months ago because my truck started running rough and the new plugs took care of the issue. Yet I can tell it is starting the same issue again.When I changed them I saw nothing to out of normal especially from an engine with 225k miles on it. No plugs showed signs of burning oil so I thought all was well. Being it has been just two months since they were changed something has to going on for this to happen. I use OEM plugs so they were AC Delco plugs.
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Bad plugs?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 07:17:16 PM »
Check the cap, rotor and wires.  Look for carbon tracking inside the cap and inspect the center of the rotor for pinholes, often accompanied by a whitish ash.  Make sure the wires have suitable continuity and aren't arcing to ground.  Look up inside the boots for greenish discoloration around the terminals.  Check for arcing between the spark plug insulators and ground below the spark plug boots to verify there isn't a cracked ceramic.  Secondary arcing is easily observed in the dark with the engine running - just watch for lightning.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Tazman

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »
I pulled the cap and rotor, the tip on the rotor was burnt and one post in the cap had some corrosion on it. Replaced both hoping for the best. It starts better but the stumbling is still there. I will check the wires next.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline Tazman

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 04:46:34 PM »
Tell me is it common to see the juice traveling from the plugs to the cap?
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:04:16 PM »
What do you mean?  Elaborate.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline Tazman

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
With the engine running I closed the garage door, shut off the lights and grabbed my mirror. I saw what I thought was reflections of an arch but after seeing the same on both sides I stopped and watched. I could see the blue travel through the wires. Pretty cool to see but I still did not find my problem, but I will.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 01:45:24 AM »
St Elmo's fire!!  You saw a coronal discharge - the ionization of atmospheric nitrogen adjacent to the plug wires caused by intense electromagnetic pulses around the wires.  The air must have been somewhat dry.  That's really cool!   8)

Inspect the terminals inside the boots at both ends of the plug wires for any discoloration (generally greenish or powdery black when there is a problem).  Green is ozone oxidation, black is soot, both from arcing between the wire and its terminal.  If you have an ohmmeter, you can also check the resistance of the wires.

If the wires are in good shape, check the fuel pressure and spray for vacuum leaks.  Pull the vacuum line off the EGR valve to see if the symptoms disappear.
Rich

Offline Tazman

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 08:21:24 PM »
Yes it is dry, winter in Arizona usually is. The wires are brand new as of Saturday and hope to check for leaks this Saturday.

Thanks for you help!
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline roger97338

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 06:52:23 PM »
St Elmo's fire!!  You saw a coronal discharge - the ionization of atmospheric nitrogen adjacent to the plug wires caused by intense electromagnetic pulses around the wires.

The information you share with us never ceases to amaze me. Thanks bd!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 07:17:48 PM »
 :)
Rich