Author Topic: RIMS FROM 90-91 SUBURBAN  (Read 6676 times)

Offline PURESTREET5006

RIMS FROM 90-91 SUBURBAN
« on: December 28, 2003, 05:05:00 PM »
Hello gang..I'm new here from chiago ill

I just wanted to know 2 things

1.will the aluminum 8 hole rims from a 90-91 suburban fit my 87 2 wheel drive suburban

2. how do i get a paint code for my truck

color: two tone blue/silver

thanks...Darrin

Offline ammmotroop

re: rims from 90-91
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 07:01:00 PM »
Hello. welcome to the forum. I am fairly new myself and have found it to be very helpful. Everybody is very knowlegable. You did not mention if the truck is a 2wd but i dont think that matters with the 8 lug wheels. As long as the bolt pattern matches you should be good to go. To get a deffinate answer i would call your local tire shop. They would know. As far as a paint code, try the door jam or inside the glove box. I know on newer chevys they are in those spots. My truck is all primer and the tags are gone on mine or else i would double check.8)  

Offline PURESTREET5006

RIMS
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 07:19:00 PM »
Yes.. mine is a 5 lug truck,:)  2 wheel drive...  

Offline ammmotroop

re rims
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 10:10:00 PM »
unless you are getting the rims for next to nothing or free it will not be worth the expense beacuse you will either have to convert to 8 lug by replacing your components with those from a 3/4 or 1 ton or use adapters which i dont recomend. your best bet would be to find a set of 5 lug wheels.

Offline PURESTREET5006

Rims
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 09:26:00 AM »
No i think you misunderstud me:D  The rims from the 89-91 aluminum 8 hole rim has the same bolt pattern(5 lug) as my truck does,my question was do the rims only come on 4wd blazers(K5) and 4WD suburbans .:)  

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Wheels
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 12:37:00 PM »
As long as they are 5 lugs from a 2wd, they will fit.  Up to 99 will fit for the 5 lugs.  In 99 with the new body style Silverados, GM changed to 6 lugs for 2 and 4 wheel drive.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscusotms.com

Offline Snuke87chevy

Re: Wheels
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 03:49:00 PM »
I know what you are saying.  Yes I've seen the aluminum rims mounted on 2wd vehicles.  If those rims have the five-lug bolt pattern they will bolt right up to your 87 'burb.  In 87 the factory codes were on a sticker inside the glovebox.  My sticker just has the codes with no explanation next to them, so you'll have to go to a site with a list of RPO codes.  Here's one: www.polariswebdesign.com/gmrpocodes.htm

Offline PURESTREET5006

RIMS
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 07:50:00 PM »
So these rims can't be from a 4WD truck to fit my 2WD truck and they have to come from a 2WD truck to work then.....Is that what your sayin?

Thanks...Darrin

Offline Snuke87chevy

Re: RIMS
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 09:16:00 AM »
Right, the 4x4 trucks have a six-lug bolt pattern and the two wheels have a five-bolt pattern.

Offline PURESTREET5006

RIMS
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »
Are you sure thats what i need to look for...4WD 6LUGS and 2WD 5 LUGS.

Offline problazer

rims from 90-91 burb.....
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »
Typically GM has a variety of places they like to stash the paint codes....... Glove box as well as drivers door are the most common. One thing is tried and true, You are looking for a four number that is preceded by the letters "WA". With your truck it should have two "wa" numbers being it is two toned.

Example - wa 8587 is a "medium blue poly" on a 83 truck

But as our trucks age (hopefully with grace) the tags get removed and damaged. So you can always go to an automotive paint store and most of the better ones have chip books that date back to the 70's. Then all you do is look up the year of your truck compare the different color chips to your trucks paint and then write down the correct code from the book. This will only work if it is an original color. If somebody has painted your truck with a custom color or resprayed the truck with anything other than what came on it, you will have to have the paint store do an "eye match".

They will take part of your truck (usually the gas door or something small and start mixing until they build a color that matches. Usually it takes a day or two.

Good luck.