Author Topic: Whats everyone do for a living?  (Read 38602 times)

Offline 79 Royal Sierra

Re: Whats everyone do for a living?
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2016, 02:54:43 PM »
Retired Military/US Marshal and Currently Disabled Vet at the age of 34

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2016, 06:40:35 PM »
Retired Military/US Marshal and Currently Disabled Vet at the age of 34
Nice, i almost went that route, starting at a gs-5. Went with dept of interior (usfws) instead, gs-7. Anyway, grateful for your service to our country.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Flyinhillbilly

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2016, 12:34:46 PM »
Auto mechanic, well, I ised to be. I run an alignment shop now.
I was born on a mountian, raised in a cave,
Overpowered cars is all I crave.

Offline willi2ds

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2016, 10:54:11 PM »
I'm a General Foreman for a company called Freeman and set up tradeshows /conventions / concerts / etc... Great job but the hours stink!! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2016, 08:45:06 PM »
I was a tire and lube technician for 8 years, now I'm a compliance assistant training for the next few years to take my supervisors place at a water district at the lake...essentially I check grease and grit traps, do sampling, install, maintain, rebuild, and test backflow devices, and keep local businesses in compliance with TCEQ requirements. I like it even though grease traps smell horrible; pay is decent, benefits are awesome, gaurenteed 40 hours/week, company truck, phone, tools, paid holidays, *#* only, they pay for clothing and boots, and my boss is awesome. Currently working towards a CDL license and learning how to operate pump trucks and vactor trucks since they pay for that too. Not a job I ever thought I'd want or do, but it's actually a great job if you can stomach the smell of the grease traps (worse than sewage).
1979 Chevrolet Silverado C20 rclb cammed 355/th400/4.10 - sold
1977 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe c10 rcsb stepside 355/th350/3.42
Vortec heads lunati cam edelbrock intake headers

Offline redhot1.4

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »
Texas coal miner
Former construction and oil field worker
Coal guns and freedom
Thanks to our vets who serve yall are greatly appreciated
God bless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline BiggG74

• living in the pacific northwest
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2016, 03:16:22 AM »
I'm a Linehaul driver (truck driver) for an LTL company. Run from my little town of Pasco Washington to Kent Washington every night Monday through Friday. Been working here for 16 years.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2016, 07:04:01 PM »
getting in on this late.  Sorry guys had a lot going on this past year.  I owned 3 houses and have finally narrowed it down to just two (one paid for - parents old house, and one not) at the end of August.  Of course I lost my storage building/shop when I sold it but I got a nice raise.  This has consumed about 9 months of my time...  Plus my day job in IT.

I work in IT doing Administrative work and we have been getting a bunch of work lately.

Hope to be on here much more now.

Offline Mr76gmcsierra

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2016, 07:21:51 PM »
Build 55 56 57 Chevy's

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2016, 10:29:56 PM »
Build 55 56 57 Chevy's

thats not very specific. tease
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2016, 05:33:38 AM »
I was a tire and lube technician for 8 years, now I'm a compliance assistant training for the next few years to take my supervisors place at a water district at the lake...essentially I check grease and grit traps, do sampling, install, maintain, rebuild, and test backflow devices, and keep local businesses in compliance with TCEQ requirements. I like it even though grease traps smell horrible; pay is decent, benefits are awesome, gaurenteed 40 hours/week, company truck, phone, tools, paid holidays, *#* only, they pay for clothing and boots, and my boss is awesome. Currently working towards a CDL license and learning how to operate pump trucks and vactor trucks since they pay for that too. Not a job I ever thought I'd want or do, but it's actually a great job if you can stomach the smell of the grease traps (worse than sewage).
I've cleaned a couple of of smaller retrofit grease traps

Uggh. They sure do stink
I used a respirator for painting cars or something so I didn't have to smell it

Offline roundhouse

Whats everyone do for a living?
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2016, 06:16:31 AM »
Okay...I am not much of a sharer on Social Media, but with all of you guys sharing, I'll bite...

I am a Project Engineer with Kenworth Truck Company.  Can't believe I have been with them for 18 years now, directly out of college.

I have spent most of my career in New Product Development and in the Outer Body group, so I have been responsible for Hoods and Headlamps as well as several projects in the Cab Structures group.  I have had the privilege of developing the Kenworth T660, North America's first HID headlamp in a Class-8 truck, T700, T680 Aero Advantage, 76" Mid-roof Sleeper and 40" Sleeper.
That's awesome
Question :

I know paccar and all the manufacturers try to get the aerodynamics as slippery as possible
But since all the newer trucks are plastic and get heavily damaged by even hitting a deer , all the independents and owner operators Install bull bars ,
Has anyone done any testing to see how much adding a bull bar ruins the aerodynamics  ?

I was a owner op for several years
Never owned any KWs
Wanted em, just couldn't afford em

I owned a couple of international COEs with the set back steer axle and a couple of the big Ford LTL -9000s , mostly because although the fords had the same engine Trans and axles as all the other trucks , cat, Cummins , Eaton fuller ,
The big fords had no resale value and used , they were less than half price of a Pete or KW with the same running gear
Hated the freightshakers BTW, all plastic inside and out , very cheaply made .

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:43:00 AM by roundhouse »

Offline m3talc0re

• Registered Users
    • Burning Concept
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2016, 03:20:07 AM »
Getting in on this one late, too. I'm a material handler/forklift operator at Nitto. The pay in this company sucks, though, and I'm looking for a similar job at a few other companies in the next week or so...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:26:01 AM by m3talc0re »

Offline kielyjw

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2017, 08:23:16 PM »
Retired and disabled now at 62. I spent 32 years working for the State of Michigan. Started out as a carpenter and finished as the maintenance director for 2 prisons in Detroit. I'm a newbie to the forum but rebuilt my first tractor motor at age 12.
Kielyjw
74 Custom Deluxe C10
454 4 barrel, Red and White

Offline eowen

• New Users
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »
32 years of automotive engineering.