Author Topic: whinner drive train  (Read 2872 times)

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
whinner drive train
« on: December 06, 2016, 07:02:26 PM »
94 chevy extend a cab 1/2 ton......whines bad anymore from rearend......can't figure out.....can the carrier berring do this w/o a clunk?
Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: whinner drive train
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 08:36:02 PM »
94 chevy extend a cab 1/2 ton......whines bad anymore from rearend......can't figure out.....can the carrier berring do this w/o a clunk?

what? lol

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 09:57:33 PM »
Need more info

Chris Lucas
73-87chevytrucks.com
squarebody.biz

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:42 AM »
94 heavy 1/2 ton . 2500 series. As a daily driver, seems like the rear end makes a whining noise. Not sure how to check for the source. Full of gear oil.

It is a 2 piece drive shaft w/carrier bearing. I've had carrier bearings go bad, making all kinds of noise. Not sure if this one is in the beginning stage of going out or not.

I don't believe its in the trans. as the noise doesn't seem to change while shifting. I have put it in neutral, let coast to a stop, w/no change in noise, just slowly gets quieter till stop, no noise until take off.   

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 07:46:27 PM »
You need to identify the source location start reaearching.  If you think it is the rear it could be worn gears, bearings...

Chris Lucas
73-87chevytrucks.com
squarebody.biz

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 10:29:31 PM »
ive had a carrier bearing squeal at any speed above 20 no matter what speed or if it was in neural
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 02:56:53 PM »
after checking carrier bearing, the rubber was dry rotted pretty bad. dropped the shaft, problem now is, it looks like someone has pried against the collar. this as i understand should unscrew to let the 2 shafts separate. if it is threaded, it must be stripped out. will not unscrew out....just turns. not sure what to do about it now.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 03:10:38 PM »
when i did mine i dont remember having to unscrew a collar, i think i had to work on it but i want to say they kind of stick together and you have to pull them apart. want to say i took it completely apart from the trans, the bearing bolts and the rear. put it up on the shop table and started to work on it
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
had a ford that unscrewed.......assumed chevy did to.... took it to napa....wouldn't separate for them either......locked in vice didn't help.......moves a few inch's.....just won't let loose

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 08:35:58 AM »
when i did mine i dont remember having to unscrew a collar, i think i had to work on it but i want to say they kind of stick together and you have to pull them apart. want to say i took it completely apart from the trans, the bearing bolts and the rear. put it up on the shop table and started to work on it

Follow up.
I did finally get it apart......it was pressed on. Couldn't reuse it. Put a boot on instead. The carrier was so tight it was all you could do to turn it by hand.

I have been told before that the W/T trucks were made up by over stock surplus parts chevy had on hand. The book said the  carrier bearing could have been 1 of 2 bearings, neither would work. After doing all the measurements, it turns out it was the same bearing that was used in a C-60. Replaced it.  Eliminated the noise. 
All worked out for the best.