Author Topic: Lighting ?  (Read 4754 times)

Offline creedua

Lighting ?
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:44:43 PM »
On my 2005 Silverado I did the "all on mod" for the headlights.  Is this possible on an '81 with dual lights?

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: Lighting ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:22:35 PM »
What is the "all on mod"? What does this do, allow you to have the daytime running lights, headlights and fog lights all on at the same time? Does this include the hi beams also being on?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline creedua

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 12:10:15 AM »
Yes. You buy a pack of cheap diodes at radio shack takes about 5-10 minutes. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vua_8s-AqaU

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 12:29:26 AM »
Why would you want to do this? Each light has a purpose and is designed to work in a specific environment. Not to mention driving around with ALL of the lights on at one time is distracting and VERY dangerous to on coming traffic. In fact, driving around with your hi beams on is actually illegal in a lot of places for the very reason of being dangerous and blinding to on coming traffic. Also, if you did like the man in this video, it is also illegal to have any lights a color. His daytime running lights are amber, only your turn signals are allowed to be amber here in CA. I would imagine most states are similar.

I recommend you un-do this modification immediately.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 06:44:22 AM »
i cant watch the vid. but i see some who have low on with the Highs but when you select lows only the lows are on.

this can be accomplished if you run some relays but i dont know if thats what youre looking for
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline creedua

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 08:01:51 AM »
LTZ they are all only on with your hi beams.  That's why you use the diodes.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 08:13:12 AM »
what style lights do you have?

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
LTZ they are all only on with your hi beams.  That's why you use the diodes.
I understand that, but it's still a danger to other drivers. GM designed that system to only have the hi beams on in hi beam mode for a good reason, it's too much light and unsafe. I still recommend immediately undoing the mod. Your going to eventually cause a problem or end up having a nice little road side chat with your local law enforcement. Remember, it's always in your best interest to do exactly what the nice police officer tells you.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
Not only what LTZ said, but let's say you get into an accident/cause an accident due to the lights.  Then, the other side's insurance company finds out etc.  Or even if your insurance company finds out.........etc. etc......

Now, you got a headache.......

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 04:24:46 AM »
devils advocate here. if you driving with your high beams on and cause an accident i would image you could be held at fault anyway. but i know when i drive with my highs on i turn them off withing 300 yards the lows wont effect them any more than if it was just the lows. as long as the highs get turned off like theyre supposed to its all good. when youre dealing with old lights why not make the best of them and have the highs covering the up and out area and have the lows covering the low and in. best of both worlds and when you see another car turn them off. thought some one on here even had a wire diagram for this

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 04:29:25 AM »
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:33:00 AM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 06:30:54 AM »
Actually, i thought it was legal to have the hi-beams and low beams on at the same time?  Just not legal to have both hi, low AND auxiliary at the same time?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 06:58:26 AM »
i think as long as you dont have more than 4 headlights its ok. sure each state is different. but as long as theyre dot approved lights and properly aimed there should be no difference in illegal vs legal if you turn the high beams off within 300 yds (maryland) as to not blind oncoming traffic or 100 yards if you come up to someone.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 10:39:26 PM »
In California, if I remember correctly, hi beams have to be turned off 100ft or less when approaching another vehicle from the rear and hi beams have to be turned off 300ft or less when approach a vehicle from the front.

Of course it could have changed, it been a long time since I looked. Usually I just ask my mom because she was a traffic police officer for over 10 years.

Also, hi beams can't be used in town or areas lit with adequate lights, i.e. numerous street lights or when broad day light etc. Hi beams are designed for areas with UN-adequate lightly to see safely, i.e., country roads and areas with no street lights or outdoor lighting.

Bottom line is, this type of mod, no matter the state or region, is unsafe to other drivers and can cause serious injuries or death. For the overall safety of others and yourself, undo the mod. It only takes one time to forget they are on and cause an accident and possibly ruin or change someone's life forever.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 01:41:57 AM »
maybe it is ft instead of yrds lol. its been some years since i took driving school