Author Topic: clutch pedal rod scraping firewall  (Read 1520 times)

Offline harveyd9

clutch pedal rod scraping firewall
« on: November 27, 2020, 01:16:49 PM »
I have a 1982 c10...  the clutch pedal rod is scraping the firewall..  looks like it is too far towards drivers side.  I am wondering if the bellcrank is wrong for the truck!!  I will try to draw how the bellcrank looks ....  to me it looks like the whole bellcranks needs to be moved towards passenger side, but the mounting point on drivers side fram will not allow it to move that way!!  only other option looks like the arm needs to be bent...   OR, not bend at all, which makes me think the bellcrank I have is not the right one.  It was like this when I purchased.   I found a bellcrank on classic parts, Part # :    90-808, but it looks like it is just a bare shell....   any help or guidance is appreciated.   I can try to take pictures if that would help explain at all.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: clutch pedal rod scraping firewall
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 03:12:41 PM »
You need to post several pics that clearly show the interference, including pics of the bellcrank.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline harveyd9

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
Bellcrank is installed, but i think these show the issue...   first picture showing the pedal rod coming through the firewall...  clearly off-center...  towards the drivers side way too much.  Question...  can the pedal rod rotate?  is it suppose to attach to the bellcrank from the right/passenger side??

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »
OE bellcrank part number 340607, see images below.

Check the engine and transmission mounts.  Make sure they are not sagging, spongy, torn, or otherwise worn out.  How much play is in the bellcrank?  Are the pivot balls anchored firmly to the frame and engine?  Is there side-to-side or radial play in the clutch pedal arm pivot?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline harveyd9

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 09:08:34 PM »
Both engine and trans mounts are new.   I will try to move the bell crank to see if there is any side to side play. I know the pivot ball attached to trans is solid. What I think I need is parts 15-22 in your picture. Are they for sale somewhere??  I have not found them online or thru   Truck

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Rich

Offline harveyd9

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:03:13 AM »
Great..  thanks for info.  I saw these, but the site says they are not the right pieces for my 1982, but will fit!!  I found a vendor that usually has all these pieces but for some reason has nothing on the bellcrank internal parts.  I have ordered these and will respond back after install
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:41:42 AM by bd »