Author Topic: 76 front clip to 83 cab?  (Read 2949 times)

Offline ken4444

76 front clip to 83 cab?
« on: April 09, 2018, 11:26:12 AM »
I am looking at a SWB that has a '76 frame and serial number, '83 cab, '88 front clip and fleetside bed, and unknown tailgate.  My intent would be to put a correct '76 front clip back onto the truck so it has a 70's era grill and headlights.

Will a '76 front clip connect correctly to an '83 cab?  I think it will, but I am looking for 100% confirmation.

Thanks!

Offline ken4444

Re: 76 front clip to 83 cab?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
To possibly answer my own question, I found this page that lists the steps to swap 81-87 parts for 73-80 parts.  The wiper parts are something I did not anticipate so that's good to know.

Step-by-step Instructions, front clip swap on a chevy squarebody c10, k10, k5, Suburban, Blazer, etc

I put this together AFTER performing this myself and finding out what works and what doesn't.

-- DISSASEMBLY --
* all parts are 81-87

remove the hood
    remove the bumper and brackets
    remove the battery
    disconnect the wiring harness from the headlights, horn, ground point, etc.
    unbolt the radiator from the core support (don't miss the two bolts on the bottom)
    unbolt the fenders and inner fenders from the cab
    unbolt the core support from the frame (the body mounts) (will have to remove grill to access them)
    remove the front clip
    remove the wiper arms and the cowl cover
    remove the wiper linkage
    remove the tall splined nubs from the wiper linkage
    (optional) patch up the holes in the cowel where the hinges used to be
    (optional) clean up and/or paint the fire wall

-- REASSEMBLY --
* all parts are 73-80, fully dissasembled

replace the wiper linkage
          easier to do now before the fenders are on and in the way
          can't just replace the splined nubs because they're rivited on
          may have to hog out 2 out of 3 holes
          I think all the wiper stuff was changed in '85, so you're millage may vary
    install the plastic cowl piece and wiper arms
    bolt just the radiator core support to the frame, using the bigger 81-87 rubber body mounts, the ones that came with the frame
    bolt the inner fenders to the fenders
    bolt one of the fenders to the cab and core support, keep the bolts snug but not torqued
    if it doesn't fit then...
          remove the body mount perchs from the frame
          relocate it to the correct spot on the body, and either weld it or bolt it there
    attach the other fender to the cab and core support, bolts snug but not torqued
    align the body panels with shims
    lay the hood down to see if there are any gaps that need work
    torque down all the bolts
    connect the radiator to the radiator core support
          may need to fabricate brackets or find a radiator that fits
    hook up the headlights, turn signals, and running lights
          headlights
               use the light sockets from the 73-80 wiring harness, cut them off and splice them into the existing wiring harness
                pay attention not just to the color of wire, but to the orientation on the sockets, i.e. if ground (black) is left top or right on 81-87 light socket then it should be in same position on new light socket
          turn singals
                I bought new light sockets from Oreillies for $5 each, I connected the black wires together, the brown wires together, and what was left was one blue and one yellow wire and I connected those together. Seems to work just fine.
          if you have a single headlight already, you may not need to do any cutting or splicing of wires for the headlights, just turn signals
          the running lights use the same light socket so you don't have to cut those off, just reuse the same ones
    install the battery tray and put the battery in
          may need to extend the negative battery cable
    install the front bumper
          won't be able to use the lower middle two bolts because the frame is cut off at that spot on 81-87 frames
          you may need to drill a few holes in the frame
    install the grill, bezels, trim,
    Either reuse the sheet metal nut things or cut threads into the studs on the back of the upper and lower grill trim with a #12 die (be VERY carefull not to break off the studs!)