Author Topic: How to prevent wheelwell trim screw rust?  (Read 6712 times)

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
How to prevent wheelwell trim screw rust?
« on: June 14, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »
Hi guys,
I've installed new aluminum wheelwell trim on my truck rebuild that I have just completed.
When installing the trim I had to drill some new holes in the metal wheelwell lip.
I'd like some feedback from some of you since I've just spent a lot of time on this rebuild and now my truck has zero rust and I'm trying to prevent any for a long time.

After having to drill some new holes in the fender lip, do I remove the screws one by one and put some kind of silicone on and reinstall them, or am I being too picky and just need to try and keep the inner fenders washed out?
Is there something better than silicone sealant to put on the screws if I remove, and reinstall them?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
Re: How to prevent wheelwell trim screw rust?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 11:19:17 AM »
Anti-seize or grease maybe? Living in the rust belt I anti-seize everything! I have used chassis grease in the past for undercoating on stuff in the past and that worked surprisingly well between parts that you couldn't get to after. I wouldn't use silicone in case it didn't stick to the painted part and trapped water. That area is going to see a lot of water and dirt. Another thing that I have been using lately is Fluid-Film.

Whatever you decide on firefighter, let us know how you did it and what you think afterwards. I'm sure you will come up with something good.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline jaredts

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »
Copper anti-seize.

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:46:44 PM »
Alot of the rust problems with trim back in the day was due to electrolysis. There is a reaction between steel and aluminum that causes rust and corrosion. You might be better off using stainless screws to fasten them down if you're really concerned. A bit of double stick trim tape at the holes might help as well so the aluminum isn't contacting the steel at that point. Combine that with some of the other suggestions mentioned and you will have done about all you can do. I'd take at least one of them off every year to see what is going on with them as a preventative measure.
1980 C-10 2WD short & wide. 305 auto.

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys.

Gives me some direction for this weekends project.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 03:10:09 PM »
I would look for stainless screws.  did you coat over the newly drilled holes?

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »
I would look for stainless screws.  did you coat over the newly drilled holes?

Hey Capt.....
Thank you for the response.
Yes sir, the screws are stainless but I have not coated anything yet since drilling the new holes and inserting the stainless screws.
I was looking for ideas if I pulled each screw out individually and coated it and reinstalled it.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
dab of silicone in the hole before the screw goes in and a dab on the back when the screws tightened. 

I put some fender flares on my aunts 2010 mitsubishi small suv last week.  i noticed its mostly installed with tape.  I wonder about using double sided tape for these on our trucks.  no rust, but if you ever had to remove it it would suck.
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:02 PM »
That might work Kenny. I bet a heat gun would get them back off easily. I've even taken mirror brackets off of my windshield with a heat gun.
1980 C-10 2WD short & wide. 305 auto.