Author Topic: Complete OEM interior wiring harness for '87 Silverado?  (Read 4734 times)

Offline RMC_SS_LDO

Complete OEM interior wiring harness for '87 Silverado?
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »
I will be diving into restoring my truck full tilt when I get back from my deployment.  I have been searching out various pieces/parts but one area that has me concerned is the wiring harness.  I noticed several splices and cuts in the original harness (including all of the connectors for the radio have been lopped off) and my particular truck looks to have come loaded out from the factory with power everything.

Is there a supplier for a complete OEM harness?  My intent is to fully gut the interior this summer and while I can only imagine how monumental a task it will be, it looks like the ideal time to baseline the wiring.

Thanks...

Allen

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Complete OEM interior wiring harness for '87 Silverado?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 02:05:51 PM »
Your best bet imo is to put together a nice wiring repair tool kit. Get some 1/16" 60/40 rosin core solder. A 35W or higher soldering iron. Some splice clips, heat shrink, terminals, flux, various wires gauge and a heat gun. Save yourself some money and just do it up nice. If your harness is hacked big time get a donor from a junk yard. Painless and a few other companies out there make certain harnesses but they aren't cheap.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline RMC_SS_LDO

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 01:05:23 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I'm a tron-chaser by trade (Electronics Technician) so the repairs wouldn't be the hard part.  It was more of a plug-n-play question to baseline the wiring back to OEM new condition in one shot.  The current cuts in the harness are only part of the reason; I can only guess that I will be chasing ghosts from now on with a 20+ year old GM harness.  I may just be a pessimist, I have to admit that is a big reason for looking for a complete harness.

With that, repairs to the existing one would be within my abilities, but I have lousy documentation.  I will have to take a closer look at the manual I have (Haynes) to see what progress I can make with it.  Can anyone point me to a good place to get complete wiring diagrams?  I am putting the cart before the horse some here since I am still in Iraq and will be until May-June, but I would like to get as much together now so I can get started when I get home.

Thanks!

Allen

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:31:41 AM »
Section 8 of the factory service manual and the electrical and wiring diagram book for your truck. Check eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Chevy-GMC-R-V-Truck-Suburban-Wiring-Diagram-87_W0QQitemZ150239118790QQcmdZViewItem

or

but watch out for morons like this. If you read what it says it's not even clear what he's going to send you. He states one wiring diagram. Gee that'd be real helpful but maybe he's just a moron and doens't know how to convey what he is selling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-GMC-C-K-TRUCK-WIRING-DIAGRAMS_W0QQitemZ400016751087QQcmdZViewItem

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10