Author Topic: This doesn’t look right  (Read 2181 times)

Offline runnergeorge

This doesn’t look right
« on: October 24, 2020, 09:54:43 PM »
I have A 75 c10 350/350 lwb. I noticed I had A chain dragging type of sound when I drive at slower speeds but would go away at higher speeds. So I did a visual inspection and noticed this on my driveshaft. Something tells me it shouldn't look like this. Any ideas on what to Do? Thank you!

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
Re: This doesn’t look right
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 11:18:38 PM »
That is the carrier bearing for the rear driveshaft that has come apart - - it is there to reduce shaking and vibration.  The seal probably came off from bearing failure and it finally gave out.  Ive never done it, but I have heard that they are not easy to remove and replace without a press and the right dies.  It might be best to pull the driveshaft out and bring it to a driveline shop to change it.  The carrier bearing itself is probably only $20, but its worth it to pay someone else to do it to avoid the frustration of trying to do it yourself without the right tools.
- Joel
1982 GMC K10 (work in progress)
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS
1974 Landcruiser (Chevy powered)

Offline runnergeorge

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 08:41:47 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I checked out on YouTube and you’re right they look difficult to replace and not worth the hassle! I noticed that the driveshaft is still tight in the bearing, there is no play at any point along the driveshaft, so in the meantime I was wondering if I could simply gently hammer the part that came apart back onto the bearing. Until I can take it in. Would that make it worse?

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 10:53:15 PM »
I would remove driveshaft and inspect the bearing and rubber cushion. If rubber is good and bearing feels smooth simply tap the grease slinger back in place. If the cushion is torn but bearing is good the cushion is available separately.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:55:09 PM by MIKE S »