Author Topic: Unknown parts and information  (Read 2192 times)

Offline dustygriley

Unknown parts and information
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:08:26 PM »
Recently purchased this truck and I have no intention of driving it daily but I do intend to restore it and haul wood in it and a weekend driver.  For the most part everything seems to be working fine.  I am curious though on the drive shafts both front and rear.  It has a 6" lift on it but I have no idea if the drive shafts were lengthened or just maxed out, is there some way to tell?  I've read up a bit on "balancing" a drive shaft, is this truly necessary?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Unknown parts and information
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »
Yes the driveshaft must be balanced. The slip yokes must have enough travel to safely move in and out through full jounce and rebound
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Unknown parts and information
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:56:15 PM »
you can get way with not getting new driveshafts but it maxes out the front shaft, not to the point of it coming apart but where you only have 1-2" of spline contact and with a little abuse it doesnt take much to cause wear then it will strip. you can tell most the times about the shaft if you take it off the front axle and pull it out and see how much travel you have. if theres only 1 or 2" then thats all the spline contact you have.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes