Author Topic: how to remove instrument cluster 76 GMC  (Read 2078 times)

Offline j-jock

how to remove instrument cluster 76 GMC
« on: August 28, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »
Hi Folks,
I had a serious short occur under the dash, and I need to remove the instrument cluster on my 76 GMC.  I have done this before on other trucks and never had an issue, but this time, it is driving me nuts.
I know that with the GMC, that I have the direct reading gauge, and I am familiar with removing the speedometer cable, but the instrument cluster is stuck on the lower left side by the sheet metal of the dash, and on the right hand side, there is another flange that is preventing me from getting the rh side free. 
I don't want to force something and break it, and I was hoping someone would have a tip that would help me get this done.
I have looked at some videos, and the guys pulling the clusters in other trucks don't seem to be having the same issue as me.
What am i missing here?  I need the truck right now, and I have been totally frustrated in my effort to free it.
Any help would be appreciated.  I can't believe I am stuck on something so stupid.
Bob

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: how to remove instrument cluster 76 GMC
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 06:16:39 PM »
Rotate the gear selector lever downward to move it out of the way.  Remove the headlamp switch knob and cluster bezel.  Once the I/P cluster is disconnected from the speedometer cable, oil pressure gauge capillary tube and unplugged from the I/P harness, disconnect the short auto transmission gear indicator cable from the steering column and lift upward on the cluster while shifting slightly left and gently rotating the top out toward you.  With a little finagling, the cluster should come out without bending any of the bezel mounting towers.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline j-jock

Re: how to remove instrument cluster 76 GMC
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 09:36:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply. 
While I was waiting for the answer, I kept working at the cluster until I finally was able to free it.  I found that I had to loosen the bracket, and drop the steering column down to sit on the loose bracket .  That gave me enough room to pull the cluster out without binding on anything.
What puzzles me, is that I have removed them before, and have never had this much of a problem getting one out.
I am grateful to report, that the short was in a solenoid in the engine compartment.  It was just because the short was so severe that the smoke entered the cab as well.  I checked all the wires under the dash, and they all looked great.
While I have the cluster out, I am going to check all the connections and the lights, so removing it was not a waste of time.
Thanks again,
Bob