Author Topic: Antisieze on brake line fittings?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Torque454

Antisieze on brake line fittings?
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »
I am sick and tired of destroying brake lines and fittings every time I go to work on brakes. I am always rounding off the fittings (which are WAY too soft IMO) and usually ruin the fittings and lines in the process.

Would there be any ill effects to using some anti sieze on the threads of the flare nuts on the connections?

It took two pipe wrenches to break apart three fittings today and one line i had to cut. This is probably going to cost me God only knows how much to fix. The small 3/16" line from the rear brake splitter to the left wheel cylinder wont be too bad, but since i ruined the big line that runs from a joint just in front of the gas tank to the block in the back on the axle, it could cost me quite a bit if a new line needs to be made.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:41:27 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Antisieze on brake line fittings?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:23:32 PM »
I can't remember but I think I was told once if the pipe uses the treads to seal then its ok to use gasket pipe tape. But if you use tape on a pipe with a o ring it will leak. Not saying use tape but I don't see a problem with anti seize. But also I never had a problem with flare nuts as long as I use a flare nut wrench. And if the pipe did break some how it was probably about time to replace it anyway
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Layne

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:35:33 AM »
Did you use flare nut wrenches? You probably did, but just making sure.
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline jonah_cfh

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:25:34 AM »
ive used a little bit of antisieze on the threads and a little bit between the line and the nut so they dont rust together
1983 Chevrolet C10
1996 Ford Crown Victoria

Offline ohio hab

• 1984 C-10, 383 SBC
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
Just Replaced All The Brake Lines On My 1984 C-10, Used a little dab of Antisieze on all the fittings with no leaks.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 08:10:38 AM »
I have use never seize on the lines and thread of brake line fittings before. Never had a problem. We use it on them, on hydraulic pipe, & hose threads, fuel lines etc. all the time at the shop. The only time we use pipe sealant dope is on pipe threaded fittings.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »
I use anti-sieze on line fittings also. Never had a problem.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!