Author Topic: 83 c10 brake problems  (Read 5160 times)

Offline 83chevycustom

83 c10 brake problems
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »
I have a 83 c10 and when I press the brake pedal Its hard and doesn't want to stop the truck also if I press hard enough the truck acts like its gonna die.

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
Re: 83 c10 brake problems
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »
your brake booster is bad...

Offline 83chevycustom

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
Well i've been told that, not enough vacuum, brakes need to be bleed, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, many times. Not really sure which you to try. Money is tight.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 11:35:29 PM »
Vacuum power brakes?...

your brake booster is bad...

X2
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 83chevycustom

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »
The vacuum hose coming form the booster is hooked to the carb. I was told its not getting enough vacuum and it should run to the intake instead.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 12:07:32 AM »
The vacuum hose coming form the booster is hooked to the carb. I was told its not getting enough vacuum and it should run to the intake instead.

Did the individual who made this diagnosis measure the vacuum at the booster?  Unless there's more to your story than you posted, only part of what you were told is true: the power brake booster should be plumbed directly to intake manifold vacuum through a dedicated fitting and 11/32" thick-wall, reinforced vacuum hose that is specified for vacuum brake booster service. 

However, even routed to the carb, as long as the booster is connected to constant manifold vacuum through a 3/8" nipple (and the vacuum hose isn't collapsing or plugged or tee'd into the PCV valve hose), the booster should provide sufficient power assisted brake application for at least two brake pedal strokes.  You stated it had NO power assist, whatsoever.  You also stated the engine labors at idle with extreme brake pedal application.  Both symptoms typically indicate a leak in the booster diaphragm or faulty internal valving - hence, a bad booster.

Nevertheless, if you think vacuum hose routing is your problem, then reroute the hose.  Ultimately, the repair strategy is your decision.  We're just trying to give you a valid response based on what you've expressed.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)