73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Suburbans

Need some help identifying this part

(1/3) > >>

augustdiesel:
New here to the forum and need some help. I got this tire carrier off a late 70s k5, and was told it came with a jerry can mount. The metal strap fits, but seems like there i.e. either a piece missing, like a base, or this strap is meant for something else. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance - Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rapid Roy:
Welcome

Irish_Alley:
two things that come to mind

one is ive never seen one OEM, doesnt mean it never happened but ive never seen one

two that looks homemade, maybe a different type of can was used?

blazer74:
I don’t know about the missing parts in question but how does that spare hanging off the hitch work out. Always wondered if they were stable.

augustdiesel:

--- Quote from: blazer74 on May 19, 2018, 11:35:39 AM ---I don’t know about the missing parts in question but how does that spare hanging off the hitch work out. Always wondered if they were stable.

--- End quote ---

So that’s an interesting story. The whole reason why I got the swing out carrier was to have a place to mount my spare. Just as soon as I got it mounted, it was obvious the swing out wasn’t strong enough, so I ditched that idea. The swing out is now a glorified hi lift jack and jerry can carrier.

The spare takes up so much space inside, and I needed to maximize interior space. So I came up with this drop-down hitch-mounted tire carrier. You’re right, it wobbles around quite a bit considering only a hitch pin is holding it in the upright position. So I added these retractable ratchet straps, designed to hold a boat on its trailer. All the straps do is keep it from wobbling. They don’t hold it upright.

Sure, it’s not the prettiest looking contraption, and I don’t know how well it would hold up on the trail, but this truck is a long way from being trail ready, and I needed an inexpensive but sturdy way to mount my spare on the exterior. So this is what I same up with for the time being.

Eventually I plan on building a bumper/carrier combo, but this will do for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version