73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Suburbans

Fuel Hoses on Sending Unit

(1/3) > >>

jetmech:
I have an 86 Suburban that I am replacing the sending unit. Not enough room to put the hoses onto the sending unit. I can get the filler hose and vent hose but the three smaller hoses seem impossible to connect and clamp. I used the old hoses to make new ones same length. Do I have to make them longer so I can let the tank be lower in order to make the connection? Pretty sure the body was not on when they were connected at the factory. There must be a way to do this without lifting the body.

Irish_Alley:
On my crew cab I attached one of the far gas tank bracket by one bolt this let it tilt. I then cut the length of hose and reattach everything back together. This is 100% wrong cause the hoses are too long and will kink. Don't do it that way. Lucky I have dual tanks, been meaning to drop the tank and redo the setup but just haven't found free time yet. I kinda want to know how others did it also

ehjorten:
On the saddle tanks I have always just lowered them cautiously as much as the hoses would allow.  Usually balanced on a couple of jacks with a large board spanning between them.  Then you have to sort of get your arms and head in-between the body and tank and reach up in there and disconnect everything.  Usually the old hoses will be difficult to get off and you will have to cut them off.  It is probably a good idea to replace the old rubber hoses anyway.  Don't forget to disconnect the ground strap from the sending unit to the top flange of the rail and also disconnect the 2-pin Weatherpack connector.  Installation is the reverse.

On the issue of hose length...I have always just made up new hoses that are the same length and installed.  I have only ever had an issue with the driver's side tank.  The original hoses are shaped like a bell and new hoses, especially if you are fuel injected and using the stiffer FI hose, then they won't like to bend that way and can kink.  What I did on my crew cab was to make the hoses longer and make them go in a loop, but I am not familiar with the Suburban fuel tank installation.

jetmech:
The Suburban has a big square tank that fits tight between the frame rails with the fuel lines right in the center. A cross member front and back make it very difficult to reach the sending unit much less trying to attach lines and clamps. I think I am going to have to make the hoses longer and hope they will tuck in and not kink or raise the body a few inches. I like the idea of making them long enough to make a loop. This would give me plenty of room to get the job done.

blazer74:
Try going in from the side?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version