73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Suburbans

90 Suburban runs rough and dies shortly after filling up.

(1/11) > >>

90_suburban:
Ok I have a 90 r1500 5.7 tbi 190,000 miles. I stopped and got gas roughly 18 gallons to top off the 40 gallon tank. Drove it about 20 miles home and it died pulling into my driveway started right back up and pulled it into the garage with it dying once again, started right back up and finished parking. Couple of hours later went to go pick my kids up from school and it started up no problem and when leaving it sputtered and died. Started right back up and got going down the road it kept hesitating and sputtered some more and died again. This time it wouldn’t start back up without feathering the gas managed to get back home with it and take another vehicle to pick the kids up. My thought was bad gas.

Next day I replaced the fuel filter and dumped some fuel treatment in the tank. Now sometimes I can get it to start other times it won’t start at all. If I managed to get it started and try driving it, it will sputter some but sometimes run fine. I have managed to siphon around 8 gallons out and burned some out driving as well and topped off with premium gas close to 12 gallons. Now my thought is that it is something else and it just happened shortly after filling up and the gas is fine.

I picked up a ADAL scanner from oriellys too dang expensive but bought it anyways. My cel isn’t on but I pulled codes 32,34,42 from it. Being I have another suburban an 88 v2500 I changed the map sensor with no luck and I also swapped the whole tbi unit. This should rule out the map, iac motor, tps, the injectors, and fuel pressure regulator. Still no difference so I swapped the ignition control module one of the connectors on the 90 was broken so I thought it could be bad. Right now it is still the same. I have only owned it about a month and put around 1000 miles on it. Within the last year the PO replaced the fuel pump as well.

Anyone have any thoughts on where to start. I do have a new coil that will be here tomorrow I am going to try out.

Captkaos:
Pull the distributor cap out and check if ti looks good, pull the whole distributor out.

I had one dying whe going in gear and this was the post on it.
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=3984.0

BTW a wire between the AB terminal on the ALDL will flash the codes.

90_suburban:
I pulled the cap today when replacing the ignition control module both cap and rotor look relatively new inside. I bought the actual scanner so I can look at the little bit of live data it will show as well. According to it the map seems to be putting out good voltage it does show it to be running lean though when idling it will switch to rich for a second when revving up.

I will take a look at that thread and see what I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish_Alley:
can you swap computers?

90_suburban:

--- Quote from: Irish_Alley on October 05, 2018, 09:56:45 PM ---can you swap computers?

--- End quote ---

Yeah I could pull the one out and swap it in the other and give it a try. I guess the promm is the same in both of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version