Author Topic: Vacuum Leak  (Read 6057 times)

Offline augustdiesel

Vacuum Leak
« on: August 20, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
Got the compressor, clutch, and drier replaced on my suburban, now have cold air finally. However, seems I have a vacuum leak somewhere as the unit is stuck in the split level system, dumping all my cold air on the floor and only trickling out the dash vents. Any ideas as to which line I need to be looking at to get it back to max setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fvaldes27

• New Users
Re: Vacuum Leak
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 09:22:25 PM »
Same issue in my truck, what I know is that the issue is related with a faulty vacuum valve that control the internal gates, still in process to take out all the SC system.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 4 mediante Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
Is the vacuum source connected to the reservoir under the hood?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline augustdiesel

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »
Is the vacuum source connected to the reservoir under the hood?

That I am not sure of. At risk of sounding ignorant, where would I be looking? I have a 6.5 NA diesel under the hood. Previously had a 6.2.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 10:15:15 AM »
Can you post a few pictures of your engine compartment and we can help you identify where to go?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline augustdiesel

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 05:37:03 PM »
Can you post a few pictures of your engine compartment and we can help you identify where to go?

Yeah I’ve got a few of those!

I don’t have a photo of the passenger side of the engine bay right now but will get one when I get home. Thanks!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »
Any of the back of the engine with the air cleaner removed and the firewall area from the center to the passenger (right) side?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline augustdiesel

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »
Any of the back of the engine with the air cleaner removed and the firewall area from the center to the passenger (right) side?

I will have to get that tomorrow sometime. Looked through everything I have and couldn’t find anything

Offline augustdiesel

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 11:28:18 AM »

Here you go. Just took these.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
Fix your broken vacuum hose and make sure the little hose isn't pinched
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 05:52:56 PM »
Way to go Vile one! Good eye!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline augustdiesel

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 07:59:47 PM »
Fix your broken vacuum hose and make sure the little hose isn't pinched

Ya know, I had noticed those and figured they needed replacing just wasn’t sure what they went to. Any idea if a special hose is required and what size? Thanks again! Seems like an easy enough fix.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 08:19:04 PM »
Just match them up at the auto parts store
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 08:13:57 AM »
It looks like your vacuum canister might be mounted differently than mine, but this is how mine looks.

Look at the A/C evaporator housing and the silver accumulator, then look right behind the housing next to the blower fan housing, and you should see the top of a a round black canister.  This is the A/C vacuum canister. In your last picture I can only see two wires (no canister), so maybe yours is missing or mounted differently. 

There is a vacuum line from the intake manifold over to a fitting on the canister, and then a 2nd smaller vacuum line from the canister through a rubber plug in the firewall to the A/C controls.  If you remove the glove box cover you can see up under the dash where the vacuum line comes through the firewall and crosses over to the A/C controls.  This is GM vacuum hard line, so sometimes it gets old and brittle, and you may find it is broken.

Bruce

Offline augustdiesel

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 09:29:27 AM »
It looks like your vacuum canister might be mounted differently than mine, but this is how mine looks.

Look at the A/C evaporator housing and the silver accumulator, then look right behind the housing next to the blower fan housing, and you should see the top of a a round black canister.  This is the A/C vacuum canister. In your last picture I can only see two wires (no canister), so maybe yours is missing or mounted differently. 

There is a vacuum line from the intake manifold over to a fitting on the canister, and then a 2nd smaller vacuum line from the canister through a rubber plug in the firewall to the A/C controls.  If you remove the glove box cover you can see up under the dash where the vacuum line comes through the firewall and crosses over to the A/C controls.  This is GM vacuum hard line, so sometimes it gets old and brittle, and you may find it is broken.

Bruce

I will check it out as soon as I can. I cannot see your photo btw if there was one. I’ve marked my intake vacuum hose in yellow, and it routes to a device (marked in red) that is just to the driver side rear of the engine bay, close to where the glow plug relay would be (removed). The intake vacuum line is also split, so all of these lines probably need to be replaced.

I’ll get out there during my lunch break and get better photos of these vacuum lines and where they all go