Author Topic: Now it's "Need help w/ manual locking hubs!"  (Read 6082 times)

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
Now it's "Need help w/ manual locking hubs!"
« on: June 25, 2002, 11:27:00 PM »
When I did all the stuff I talked about in pub73.ezboard.com/f7387ch...D=21.topic and went to put everything back together, the axle shafts were leaning down a little so I had to wiggle them to get everything back in and every since when I make a sharp turn, I'm hearing tire chirps like the front isn't differentiating.  Is it possible to install the manual hubs incorrectly so what when I switch them to free they're still locked?  They're the Warn cheapo hubs on a 10-bolt...

87 Silverado 4x4 Longbed Pickup
My Mods | Truck Pics | E-mail Me

Edited by: Kevin108 at: 7/21/02 11:44:38 pm

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about tire chirps and manual locking hubs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 09:32:00 PM »
If you jack up the front and turn the wheels, visually inspect to see if the axle is turning when engaged and not turning when disengaged, also make sure the front drive shaft is turning freely and not engaged. It is possible you installed the front hubs incorrectly.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2002, 11:33:00 PM »
Arright, awesome, I'll check it out tomorrow!  As for the installation process though, how can you install the hub locks incorrectly?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2002, 10:07:00 PM »
Well See if it is not disengaging b4 we get into that...

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2002, 10:21:00 AM »
Is there a left and right on these things?  I went down to the beach yesterday without having troubleshot this anymore.  The hubs do not lock in.  Yep, $10 got me pulled off the beach by an awesome F-250 and then I was forced to ride in a friend's stock 2000 Explorer all day.  The shame...  So, any ideas?

Update - I pulled the hub switch on the passenger side, there were two random metal chunks, each about 1/8" tall and 1/4" long.  Something ate the inside of the switch.  Would not having it all the way into lock position and running with it do this?  Here's a pic:

Edited by: Kevin108 at: 7/22/02 1:54:58 am

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 07:08:00 PM »
Yikes! It looks like you did something wrong. Remember there are many different styles of manual locking hubs but they all install relatively the same. Just be attentive when you put them back together, usually the only difference will be the snap ring location. I'd suggest spend a few extra minutes and look to see how the hub works. Once you understand that, You will understand how everything needs to go together. And when you get them installed, make sure they engage and disengage before you drive it or they will break.

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 08:52:00 PM »
Remember I had EVERYTHING out of the front axle a couple weeks ago changing the seals.  The other side's fine...  heck if I know...

Looks like this truck's gonna be nothing but trouble too, just like my S-10 was.  I had a miss appear a couple days ago so I put in new plugs today.  That didn't fix it.  I figured out which plug wasn't firing and replaced the wire.  Right after I did that I went to start it and see if that fixed it.  On that crank the starter seized...  New starter on Weds and found a broken driver side motor mount and fixed that.  What a couple of days!

-Update-

Saturday I scored some free parts I had laying around.  The guy I bought the truck from had given me a bunch of stuff that I had never gone and gotten and really I didn't even remember what all it was.  I got a full front axle, hub to hub with the tie rod and a steering stabilizer.  Also got another hub switch and some extra screws.  So hopefully I'll be up and running in a couple days.

Edited by: Kevin108 at: 7/31/02 3:29:46 pm

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2002, 08:20:00 PM »
Cool, good luck man

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2002, 05:35:00 PM »
I got the new (used) hub in and everything's awesome again for now.  On the old hub, a pressed-in brass sleeve broke and let the guts of the hub go.  I guess you know what I'm talking about...  I did learn how all the crap works though, so it was cool.  I guess it would be a good idea to buy a new set and keep them in the truck since I know I eat hubs now.  Is this just typical of the part-time 4WD/SFA setup?

Edited by: Kevin108 at: 8/4/02 6:50:46 am