Author Topic: t case switch or change or something  (Read 3383 times)

Offline DixieOffroad87

• Registered Users
t case switch or change or something
« on: July 31, 2002, 09:31:00 PM »
ok im looking at a truck with the fulltime t case and want to know how hard is it to change out for a part time  or should i not worry about it as the truck will not be driven on the street except to get to mud holes as it will be a mud truck. or is there a way to make the fulltime a part time?

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
t-case conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2002, 10:28:00 PM »
If your t-case is full time you must have the NP-203.  These are considered to be "weaker" than the NP-205, 208...because they are chain driven rather than gear.  A lot of people think they are an aluminum case which also makes them weaker.  If you have ever muscled the 203 out of a truck you'll know they are cast iron.  two problems with the 203 are:  The chain will stretch and need to be replaced;  Also,, being full-time they cause more drive line wear.  "Mile Marker" makes a conversion kit that is simple to install.  You would also need to istall manual hubs on your axle.  Now you have a part-time t-case.  This conversion is probley cheaper (?) than switching t-cases and is easy to install.  I have had it in my '77 K10 for a long time and it has held up pretty well.  Well enough it hasn't failed giving me a reason to swap cases yet.  If you go this way remember...Only use 10w-40 motor oil in the case.  Other cases use gear oil or tranny fluid.  The chain in the 203 slings oil into the rear case (where an oil pump is). Gear oil is to "thick and tranny fluid to "thin" to properly lubricate.  This also brings up another point.  With the part-time conversion you will need lock your hubs (4x4 not required) for about 10 mile a week.  This allows the chain to drive and lubricate the case.

Offline DixieOffroad87

• Registered Users
Re: t-case conversion
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2002, 11:03:00 PM »
ok thanx thats just what i was looking for but where can i get the conversion get would 4wheelparts have it?

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
203 conversion
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2002, 12:07:00 AM »
Go to milemarker.com and check out there "where to buy" link.  Also, most on-line 4x4 stores have it.  macromotive.com is a good one.  I have bought a few things from them.  Good customer service, too.

Offline 79GMC4x4

• Registered Users
Re: 203 conversion
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 10:46:00 AM »
Good info:

www.off-road.com/chevy/f-faqs.html

'79 GMC shortbed 454 th400 14 bolt FF NP205 Dana 60