Author Topic: ? for anybody w/ a 4" lift  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
? for anybody w/ a 4" lift
« on: August 11, 2002, 10:32:00 PM »
How close is the bottom of your front driveshaft to the top of your Y-pipe?  Mine was only like 1/8" away and when I flexed the axle sometimes, it would rub so I took a C-clamp and pinched the exhaust tubing down some.  I've got about 1/2" now so that should solve my problem, but I was just wondering if that was a common problem.

87 Silverado 4x4 Longbed Pickup
My Mods | Truck Pics | E-mail Me

Offline 79BONANZA

Re: ? for anybody w/ a 4" lift
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 04:38:00 PM »
Hey Kevin,
    I have a 4" lift in mine and I have about 1/8 between the side of my front driveshaft and my header where it joins my exhaust.  I rarely use the 4 wheel drive so it hasn't been a problem, yet. Used to live on little creek road, was stationed there.  Nice place.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 08:18:00 PM »
hmm. I have headers and dual exhaust on mine and don't have a clearance issue but not sure about the Y pipe.

Have you flipped the spacers for your cross member yet to lower the transfer case down?

Edited by: VileZambonie  at: 8/21/02 1:18:23 am
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 11:10:00 PM »
Yeah, whoever put the kit in did have the spacers for lowering the case.  I just dug around in my dad's garage and found the biggest C-clamp I could and then cut a 12" section of 1" pipe and squished the exhaust tubing down an additional ½" underneath where the front driveshaft runs.  There's plenty of room now!  I did bend the threaded part and the lever on the C-clamp though.  Heh heh.

87 Silverado 4x4 Longbed Pickup
My Mods | Truck Pics | E-mail Me