Author Topic: Blower motor failing  (Read 254 times)

Offline Woodhook13

• New Users
Blower motor failing
« on: January 27, 2024, 07:25:12 AM »
I’m restoring my 77 k10 and have installed a new wiring harness.  Also bought a new heat/A/C fan switch.  My blower motor comes on when the ignition is turned on, which is normal.  I have 3 fan speeds that work perfectly but when I put the fan to high, I blow the fuse in the fuse panel marked heat/AC.  If I unplug the relay (which is new) the fuse doesn’t blow. Of course the fan doesn’t come on either.  I have ohmed the orange wire back to the switch and it is ok.  I’ve also put voltage on the orange wire to make sure it wasn’t grounded out somewhere.  I do have ignition voltage on the red wire coming to the relay.  The blower motor works fine if I connect it straight to the battery, which is high speed.  I’m going to test the relay this weekend to see if I hear the switch operating.  I don’t think the high speed goes through the resistor, but I did take it out and it looks fine. Am I missing another spot that I need to check?  Could the new relay be shorted out causing the problem?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Offline Mr Diesel

• Frequent Member
  • Aaron
Re: Blower motor failing
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 08:55:12 AM »
Sounds about right. I would throw in a new motor. They are cheap.
1976 C20 Crewcab, 6.2L/SM465
1982 K30 Crewcab , 427TD/TH400
1983 C30, 6.2L/TH400
1983 K30 Crewcab 454/700R4
1986 K10 350/400. 1989 K30 cab/chassis 454/SM465

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 10:53:55 AM »
I’m restoring my 77 k10 and have installed a new wiring harness.  Also bought a new heat/A/C fan switch.  My blower motor comes on when the ignition is turned on, which is normal.  I have 3 fan speeds that work perfectly but when I put the fan to high, I blow the fuse in the fuse panel marked heat/AC.  If I unplug the relay (which is new) the fuse doesn’t blow. Of course the fan doesn’t come on either.  I have ohmed the orange wire back to the switch and it is ok.  I’ve also put voltage on the orange wire to make sure it wasn’t grounded out somewhere.  I do have ignition voltage on the red wire coming to the relay.  The blower motor works fine if I connect it straight to the battery, which is high speed.  I’m going to test the relay this weekend to see if I hear the switch operating.  I don’t think the high speed goes through the resistor, but I did take it out and it looks fine. Am I missing another spot that I need to check?  Could the new relay be shorted out causing the problem?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Blower Motor Relay (Keeps Blowing Fuses)  -  Read it all the way through to the end.

Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Woodhook13

• New Users
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 06:02:48 PM »
Thanks bd!  I’ll try a new relay with that diode cut out!  I’ll post my results when I’m finished!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 06:23:10 PM »
Or, you might save yourself some time and money by reversing the positions of the orange (+) and black (-) relay control wires in the two-wire relay connector, so that the diode won't 'fry' anymore.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)