Author Topic: 1976 volts gauge doesn't work  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Sorenabel

• New Users
1976 volts gauge doesn't work
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »
Hello I'm new to this forum site, and quit new to older Chevys and GMCs. I purchased a 76 Chevy with a small block 327 & turbo 400 in it. It originally had a BB454 in it and when they changed the motors they really hacked the wireing up. I've gone through some of it and thrown away wires that where just running through the harness not going anywhere. Fixed my gas gauge wireing, and dash lights. My biggest problem I've had is I can't get my volts gauge to work. I just recently redid two of the wires that where going to the starter that where about 12 and maybe 16 gauge wires, one wasn't connected to the starter at all and was ground out on the header. So my question is what wire powers the volts gauge that's under the dash? I looked at a diagram and it showed a purple wire powering it, and now there's two under my dash that are different color purples that have been spliced together. And idk if that's them or what is going on with them. And where is my volts meter read the the volts from? The alternator or the starter?