Author Topic: Gas Gauge Gone Weird  (Read 2380 times)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Gas Gauge Gone Weird
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:31:19 PM »
So I just thought I would throw this out there to see what you guys think. As some of you now I just put a new engine in the truck. Now, standard operation of the gauge is, 1-fill tank with fuel, 2-turn truck on, 3-gauge goes up to indicate fuel level.

Ever since I put the engine in, my gauge goes up as I'm filling the truck with fuel. So by the time I fiinish fueling, get back in, start the truck, the gauge is already on full.

It's weird I know, it doesn't bother me, just thought I'de see what you guys thought.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Elpresidente

• Registered Users
Re: Gas Gauge Gone Weird
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
Sounds like it's getting constant power to the gauge, as opposed to before when you shut the truck off it would ready empty until you turned it on. Not really an issue I would suspect. Btw, is it some sort of common issue for the gas gauge needles in these trucks to bounce around? I find mine twitches around a bit as the fuel in the tank moves back and forth from driving.
'82 Chev Scottsdale
Proud to be Canadian \m/

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »
...Btw, is it some sort of common issue for the gas gauge needles in these trucks to bounce around? I find mine twitches around a bit as the fuel in the tank moves back and forth from driving.

This is normal.

So I just thought I would throw this out there to see what you guys think. As some of you now I just put a new engine in the truck. Now, standard operation of the gauge is, 1-fill tank with fuel, 2-turn truck on, 3-gauge goes up to indicate fuel level.

Ever since I put the engine in, my gauge goes up as I'm filling the truck with fuel. So by the time I finish fueling, get back in, start the truck, the gauge is already on full.

It's weird I know, it doesn't bother me, just thought I'd see what you guys thought.

What does the gauge do if you turn the key off with an empty tank and wait five minutes?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 01:09:50 AM »
I'm not to sure about what it would do if I tried that. Prob ready on empty cuz it has no gas haha. As for them bouncing around yea it's normal. Mine reads over when it's full, but proportionate to the gauge markings. I replaced the gauge and that helped a lot. The only other thing that would help is a new sending unit. I really should do mine but it's easier to say I'll do it later then go out and drop the tank haha.
LTZ Cheyenne C20