Author Topic: need help identifying some stuff  (Read 4124 times)

Offline 76StepSd

• Registered Users
need help identifying some stuff
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »
On my 76 Step side C10 i was looking under the steering column at some wiring among other things. I had some starting issues that definitely delt with the wiring. the other day i noticed i turned the key and nothing...i mean absolutely nothing no lights no cranking...dead as a door nail...battery is dang near fully charge so i started doing voltage and continuity checks under the hood...all was well out there...jumped in the cab to have a look around wiggled some wiring and it started. then yesterday after warming it up i get back in the cab and once again nothing but this time i had lights and the brake light would come on like normal after turning the key to start but nothing else no cranking no nothing. Wiggled the wires in the pic below and then it started. My question is what the heck is the intermediate (black) harness there for?...is that suppose to be there?

and what the heck is this little do dad at the bottom near the floor it used to have some wiring going to it but the wires appear to have been snipped. I am not even sure if this is the original column in the truck its damaged.....look like someone tried to steal whatever truck this column was in. It is going to be replaced so not too worried about that just wondering what this item is and do i need it.....also still need to find the reverse light switch.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:36:28 AM by 76StepSd »

Offline Dan75k20

• Frequent Member
Re: need help identifying some stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »
 i feel your pain My reverse lights do not work either i know my wires from the cab back back to my tail lights are good and the bulbs are good id there a switch inside the column?

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
  • Chevy! My drug of choice!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »
The top connecter is for your turn signals. The wires run up to the switch behind your steering wheel. The "DO-dad" lol at the bottom is more than likely a neutral safety switch. (stops power to the starter unless the shifter is in park)
There should also be a plug in the side if the ignition switch (NOT the key lock) mounted on top of the steering column. If that's loose, it could cause all sorts of problems in your electric system.

Offline 76StepSd

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
The top connecter is for your turn signals. The wires run up to the switch behind your steering wheel. The "DO-dad" lol at the bottom is more than likely a neutral safety switch. (stops power to the starter unless the shifter is in park)
There should also be a plug in the side if the ignition switch (NOT the key lock) mounted on top of the steering column. If that's loose, it could cause all sorts of problems in your electric system.
Yeah but why is that black section of harness in there? why wouldnt the color harnes plug in the matching color harness....and...wait til i post the pic of the steering column.

Offline 76StepSd

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
Yes! I remember there being something about cruse control or intermittent wipers that needed that short connecter because the two colored wire connectors wouldn't go together. I ran into the same problem on my 73. I just don't remember what I had to chang e to get rid of it. lol Getting old I guess. ::)

Offline 76StepSd

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »
well if you remember please post .......i dont have cruise control and could care less about intermittent wipers

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »
Your wiper switch is on the turn signal knob, Right.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
     That "do dad" wire you referred to is not factory, it looks like someone added it for something and then cut it.  It almost looks like they needed a ground wire and used a red wire for it, though I can not see where it mounts, if it is mounted to metal it is for a ground.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 76StepSd

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 07:46:24 PM »
well i am going to drop the column so i can look around at the plug conditions...maybe even remove but not til i get another one.  I cant believe the guy never replaced that column....anyway will update you guys on what i find.

Offline 76StepSd

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »
Your wiper switch is on the turn signal knob, Right.

my wiper switch is on the dash above or below the light switch.

Offline 76StepSd

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 08:35:02 PM »
update.......I found out my starting issue....The clutch pedal is still in the truck from when it was a 3sp. The purple and purple/white wire coming out of the wiring harness to the column is the neutral safety switch. It apparently was not seated on the prongs firmly enough...after all its a 76 so i am not surprised. What i wonder is why whoever had it before my friend just didnt make a permanent connection between the two wires then the wires would not have to still be connected to the no longer used neutral switch connected to the clutch pedal that was well hidden behind the carpet that was installed on the floor...lol. Anyway got a column out of a C30 thats in pretty decent shape and will be installing it soon. ....BTW the "do dad" i showed you guys in the pic i removed it since it was not doing anything.

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »
Yeah but why is that black section of harness in there? why wouldnt the color harnes plug in the matching color harness....and...wait til i post the pic of the steering column.

I remembered!!!
When the intermittent wiper option WASN'T used, there was a short black connector to take it's place because the wiring on either end of it was different.