Author Topic: Fuel tank sending unit wiring  (Read 2462 times)

Offline MortamerPA

Fuel tank sending unit wiring
« on: July 16, 2015, 11:52:25 AM »
Hello all,

I have a 1983 K20 that was originally a 6.2L Diesel, that had been swapped for a carb'd 454 by a previous owner.  I dropped the tank and found surface rust, so I decided to replace it with an after market one.  While at it, I would like to replace the sending unit since it's probably original and I don't want to go through this exercise (of dropping the tank) again.  I had a fuel delivery issue which is how I got to my current state...after replacing the filter, lines I could access, and pulling fuel out of a tank from the ground to make sure the pump would prime and the engine run.

What's the difference between the sending unit for a diesel and one for a gas engine?  The former has a two prong connector, where the latter has a single prong connector with a seperate ground strap.  Given the truck has been converted to gas, should I just replace with the diesel unit to match the wiring harness?  I've attached two pictures, the unit for a diesel being gold, and unit for a gas being silver.

Thank you in advance, appreciate any feedback that could be provided.