Author Topic: Headunit cuts in and out  (Read 11090 times)

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
  • Dallas, TX Daily Driver
Headunit cuts in and out
« on: July 22, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »
Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out why my headunit cuts in and out. It's been like this since I got my truck 4 months ago.

It will do it when I'm rolling on the highway @ 60, when I brake hard, and when I get on the gas. And especially when I hit a bump. It will cut out in both the radio and aux.

It will not do it when the truck is sitting still.

I've tried cleaning the grounds that go on those tabs, above the parking brake pedal, with no effect.

The headunit is a Pioneer. It was not installed by me and I've never installed a headunit in one of these trucks, so I'm not even sure where its grounded.

Anywhere else I can look?

I appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:18:54 PM by boulky12 »
86 Swb GMC, 2/2 drop, stock 305/350, Quadrajet, Dual Tanks, 3.08 gears, Rally wheels

Offline Burkhalter

Re: Headunit cuts in and out
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »
I would look at the power supply coming in. Loose connection? Is there an in line fuse? If so could it be loose?
'85 Chevy K10 361ci sm465

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:12:15 PM »
I would look at the power supply coming in. Loose connection? Is there an in line fuse? If so could it be loose?
How would I do that? When I pull out the stereo theres the little harness from the stereo to the Factory wiring harness.

Should I be looking at the wiring from that factory harness connector and on back? I believe yellow and red are used for power supply right?

86 Swb GMC, 2/2 drop, stock 305/350, Quadrajet, Dual Tanks, 3.08 gears, Rally wheels

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:35:14 PM »
I would check the wire nuts, for loose a  connection at the factory connector in the picture and at the fuse block. My diagram shows yellow going to ignition, orange wire and grey wire to battery.

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 09:16:51 PM »
I would check the wire nuts, for loose a  connection at the factory connector in the picture and at the fuse block. My diagram shows yellow going to ignition, orange wire and grey wire to battery.
Alright thanks. I'll check the wires out asap.

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 05:34:55 PM »
So I took the wire nuts off the yellow, red, and black wires because I've had bad luck with those before. I just exposed the wires a little, twisted the wires together, and wrap it up with electrical tape, like I always have. Went for a test drive and it was still the same.

I shook all the wires with the music playing and I couldn't get it to cut out. It seems like it will only do it when I'm driving?

I did notice my yellow wire for accessory switched 12v is tied into my courtesy lights fuse. Is this okay?

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »
I would have put that wire in one of the accessory spots.

As for it still cutting out try tapping the stereo its self  (loose connetion inside?), could the face plate be loose, what do the contacts for the face plate look like, could it be getting too much voltage at a higher rpm?

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 10:35:54 AM »
Thinking about it a little more that yellow wire could go to the dimmer for the stereo. Instead of hooking it up to the switch they could have wired it in there.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 10:38:12 AM »
What make and model is that stereo?

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 11:19:55 AM »
I would have put that wire in one of the accessory spots.

As for it still cutting out try tapping the stereo its self  (loose connetion inside?), could the face plate be loose, what do the contacts for the face plate look like, could it be getting too much voltage at a higher rpm?

I tried getting voltage readings on those accessory spots you circled and I only got power with the key on.

The Constant 12V is supposed to go in a spot where its getting power with key On and Off right?

I tried these spots right here and I was getting voltage with key On and Off.

One thing I wasn't sure about also is I'm getting 12.45 V with key Off, and I'm getting about 9 V with key On, on all circuits. Is this proper voltage drop?

Oh and i tried tapping the stereo itself and it wont cut at all. I didnt try tapping the face plate, I'll try that next time
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:21:51 AM by boulky12 »

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 11:24:10 AM »
Thinking about it a little more that yellow wire could go to the dimmer for the stereo. Instead of hooking it up to the switch they could have wired it in there.

That same yellow wire, @ the stereo connector, is in the corner with the red ignition wire and the ground wire, and its bigger than all the others. Dosent that mean its probably a main power wire?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:27:31 AM by boulky12 »

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »
What make and model is that stereo?

Stereo is a Pioneer Super Tuner IIId DEH-11E

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »

Looking at the diagram for your stereo that is the main power for the unit. So it should go into the ones that you circled.

Looking at the diagram for your stereo this where the connections should be.

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 12:10:22 PM »

Looking at the diagram for your stereo this where the connections should be.
Thanks for the diagram. I just got back from the store with some male connectors.

So I'm gonna try moving the yellow constant 12V to one of the ones I circled.

As for the Red one, right now its connected to the factory stereo harness. Is this okay or should I wire it straight to the fuse box like you said.

And as for the orange, there is no orange coming out of the stereo at all? But its still getting illuminated, so i guess thats fine.

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »

[quote
As for the Red one, right now its connected to the factory stereo harness. Is this okay or should I wire it straight to the fuse box like you said.

And as for the orange, there is no orange coming out of the stereo at all? But its still getting illuminated, so i guess thats fine.
[/quote]

If it's hooked up to the factory harness I would leave it. No sense in putting more wires in than you need.
I looked at the picture of the back of the stereo again. It looks like you don't have a dimmer function. All that wire would do is dimm the light down when you turned your head lights on.