Author Topic: Lunati cam and Pro Comp head discussion  (Read 39196 times)

Offline rich weyand

Re: Lunati cam and Pro Comp head discussion
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »
The SBC has fittings for the oil dipstick on both sides.  Could that be the ones midway along each side?
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline nlauffer

• Frequent Member
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »
Haven't updated this for awhile.  Not much progress on the engine.  Rockers are set, crank pulley bolted on.  Painted a bunch of engine brackets after having a high school kid sandblast them in his shop class.

Still haven't received my carb back from SMI.  Don't know if I said yet or not, but mine broke in shipping out to them.  Broke the carb body at the fuel inlet.  Dumb me, I didn't buy the extra insurance.  So, I asked them to just build me one of their cores.  Another $150 or so I think.  I'm not ready to bolt it on, so I guess not a big deal.

I have been thinking about the serp belt setup more.  For ease of installation, I have been making my stock stuff nice, in case I just put it back stock.  However, I still want to do the serp setup.  I purchased brackets for a 98 serpentine, but I think it could be easier if I drop back to the late 80's early 90's setup.  These should take the same AC compressor, power steering pump, and alternator.  Just with serpentine pulleys.  Also, still the reverse water pump.   

Here are some questions regarding serpentine belts.

Can I use my SI alternator and put a serp pulley on it?  I know I can put the pulley on, but will it line up?
How do I change my AC compressor over to the serp pulley?
Can I use my 83 power steering pump with a serpentine pulley?

I ask, because I have a brand new AC compressor and power steering pump.  My alternator is also only a year old or so.  I have been searching and just haven't been able to find the answer to these questions, unless I just missed them.  I'm not the greatest at searches sometimes.

Offline nlauffer

• Frequent Member
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2013, 10:17:06 AM »
Here are some pics of power steering pumps.

1.  1983 GMC C1500 5.7L power steering pump.  Part #207920  This is the one I bought.
2.  1987 GMC R1500 5.7L pump  Part #207922
3.  1989 GMC C1500 5.7L pump  Part #207832
4.  1991 GMC C1500 5.7L pump  Part #207828

These are from RockAuto.  It is easier for me to search there.  The only one that listed a serpentine pulley is the 91.  The 89 didn't list one at all.  The 87 listed a v-belt pulley and of course the 83.