Author Topic: Will these axles fit my truck?  (Read 6586 times)

Offline 84silveradok10

Will these axles fit my truck?
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:10:51 AM »
I have a 1984 chevy silverado swb. My front axles is worn and tired and I just exploded my rear last night. I haven't popped the case off yet but something from inside it went throught the cover! :( I currently have a 12 bolt rear and 10 bolt front. with 15 inch rims and 35x12.5 tires. I also have a 4 inch rough country lift.

So I'm looking for axles for it and I came across this set here:

14 Bolt FF rear and matching 10 bolt front (373 ?gears) out of a late 70's suburban both have leafs and roller tires/rims .. $450

Should they be able to bolt right in? Will there need to be steering changes made? Will my 15 inch rims fit on those axles? And will the yokes match up?

I'm going to go look at these at 4 o'clock today and want to know what to look for, also where are the axle codes located on these? and any references to what the codes mean would be appreciated

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:12:22 AM by 84silveradok10 »
84' K-10 Silverado Shortbed
350, 700R4, 10B Front, 12B Rear
Accel HEI Ignition
4" Rough Country Suspension Lift
35" BF Goodrich KM/2

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Will these axles fit my truck?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:35:51 AM »
The only thing that might matter is if its 3/4 or 1/2 ton. Everything else wont matter if it is 3/4 the rims are bigger and different lug but that's the only hold up. Also pop the cover on the ones for sale check the teeth and all see if it all looks good
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 84silveradok10

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:52:12 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I am pretty sure it is a 3/4 ton. I am already assuming that I'm going to have problem with the rims and tires. I'm going to have to find a set of 15" 8 lug rims and do some grinding on the front calipers to make my tires and rims work, but for now they have rims and cheap tires on them so I'll get by.

Yeah I will definitely take the case off to check out the teeth and see how they look, and to make sure they are 3.73 gears.

Do you think that the u-joints will match up? and what about the spring perch spacing?
Accel HEI Ignition
35" BF Goodrich KM/2

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 11:06:56 AM »
take some measurements on your leafs on your truck and compare to the set that is for sale.  Of course, leafs can be changed out--yours should still be good.  The 3/4 ton springs will raise it up some i would think if you stick to those--more of an arc to them perhaps.

Look at your pinion - driveshaft yoke and note how it looks compared to the axles you are considering.  Measure the width where unjoints bolt up.    that should tell ya.

have to find a set of 15" 8 lug rims and do some grinding on the front calipers to make my tires and rims work,

If you are going to convert your truck to a 3/4 by using springs, axles etc out of a 3/4 ton, might as well get some 16" wheels for the 8 lugs. No grinding should be needed.  I just bought some 16 x 8 rims with 8 lugs (6.5 pattern) with 4.5 backspacing  for my 3/4 ton sub.  No problems.  pic of them here....
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=16990.0

http://www.wheelsforless.com/detail.aspx?ID=848

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:14:49 AM by SgtDel »

Offline 84silveradok10

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:36:51 PM »
The only reason I want to stick to the 15 inch rims is that I have a practically brand new set of 35x12.5x15 bfg km/2s with less than 2000 miles on them and dont want to have to get new tires or try to trade these to someone for 16 inch rims.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Do you think 450 is a fair price for them?.....I do considering the junk yard want 450 for just the rear, one even wanted 650 for the rear :( Just wanna know what you guys think.
Accel HEI Ignition
35" BF Goodrich KM/2

Offline 84silveradok10

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:53:22 PM »
Will my rough country lift fit onto the new axles or will I have to get new ubolts?
Accel HEI Ignition
35" BF Goodrich KM/2

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »
  Like stg. said compare the u joints, when I got my 81 that had been swapped to 3/4 ( 14 rear and 12 front ) I was told and have documentation that the u joints were changed to match the 1/2 drivelines.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 04:50:10 PM »
I bought a set from the yard for 200. 14 bolt and dana 44 with 4.10. But I'm kind of friends but I think around 3 should be fair

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 11:44:24 PM »
Even if the u bolts are the same you need new ones. Should never reuse them. As far as the axle perches they will be a direct bolt in. The front u joint should be the same. The rear you will need a crossover joint. It has one side to fit your drive shaft, the other will have to be the size of your new rear ends yoke.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:39:57 AM »
Even if the u bolts are the same you need new ones. Should never reuse them. As far as the axle perches they will be a direct bolt in. The front u joint should be the same. The rear you will need a crossover joint. It has one side to fit your drive shaft, the other will have to be the size of your new rear ends yoke.
go to napa and tell them what you have and they will find it for ya a whole lot faster than autozone or advance will