Author Topic: Scored today at the local junk yard  (Read 3855 times)

Offline sammy1759

Scored today at the local junk yard
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:15:46 PM »
Picked up a factory tach gauge cluster today along with an Edelbrock carb, intake and air cleaner at the junkyard.  Got a question about the tach. I pulled it out of an 87 truck but the backside of the speedo looks like it was sawzalled so I think it may be a mutt. I want to put it in my 78 and I know it will need some work to do that.  My question is how many different circuits prints are there? My trucks are both 2wd and this gauge came out of a 4x4. So it has an idiot light for 4X4 and a bulb for it. My truck doesn't.  There is also a choke light that my 87 doesn't have due to the tbi fuel system.  The truck I pulled the tach from was the same one that gave me the carb and intake setup so it would have had a choke light and 4x4 light I think, but the cut job makes me think twice. I also thought all 87 trucks came with tbi and the carb was not offered anymore but I am not sure.

Sam

Offline 1980c10

Re: Scored today at the local junk yard
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:56:37 PM »
It looks like the speedometer was changed to a cable driven set up instead of the eletronic it would have came with. Which works out nicely for you.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:06:38 AM »
     I agree with 1980c10 it does look like it will work for your set up, and as far as I know all 87 had tbi, maybe the po of that truck changed it to a carb.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »
'87 had TBI and was a cable driven speedo.

Looks like the PO of the cluster cut the back up to allow the VSS on the back of his speedo to fit thru the cluster housing....
'90 Suburban TBI 350

Offline sammy1759

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »
What is vss? The truck I pulled this from was cable driven to the speedo. Are they electronic on 87? I am not sure. I have a 87 but it us just disposable transportation as it only cost $500. I only have it to drive to work and don't plan on putting any $ in it except to keep it running with it's 87xxx original milesmy main toy is the 78. It has the 100 mph speedo and no tach just the bug fuel gauge.

Sam

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 01:39:14 AM »
Vehicle speed sensor. Heres what im thinking the speedo is original for the truck the cluster is out of something older, this is why all the needles and lines are all faded except on the newer speedo this is why the po had to modify the cluster housing to fit the speedo into it. Im not sure of any of this cause I don’t know what im talking about lol but it seems like it could of happened.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »
vss where in 85+ and they came with cables to drive the speedo but the vss is pretty much for the ecm, emissions, cruise. what exactly it does i dont know never messed with them but i know on the 4l60 and 4l60e its a two wire plug. and on the back of that speedo is two wires. idk what they are for might just be a light but not sure. Someone should know and will correct me  ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:00:38 AM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes