Author Topic: Western Chassis Drop...Dumb Q  (Read 1999 times)

Offline devildogmech

Western Chassis Drop...Dumb Q
« on: April 24, 2020, 11:54:51 AM »
Ok,

So I'm ALMOST done with my DROP!!!!!

Last on the list is the Forward Spring Hangers for the leaf springs.... Now I have dual side saddle fuel tanks.... The tanks are less than 2" away from the hangers... I have to get the rivets drilled/ ground down... I'm really trying NOT to take the bed off.....

Any suggestions on how to finagle this? I know someone here has done this!!!

TIA
Will
Be good, but not too good.

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
Re: Western Chassis Drop...Dumb Q
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 11:45:15 AM »
Sorry for the delay I forgot about this until an hour ago

I did this same drop a few years ago. I know I had removed the bed but couldnt remember having any trouble getting in there beside the fuel tank. I went through my old pictures and found that I had removed the fuel tank(single tank). It needed a new sending unit so it made sense to remove it at that time. For you I would suggest either removing the tanks, removing the bed, or possibly getting to the rivets from the inside of the frame rails. I dont remember how much room there is in there.
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline devildogmech

Re: Western Chassis Drop...Dumb Q
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 09:56:58 PM »
Whooo Hoo! Got the new mount points in!!!

Tools that make life so much easier!!!

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/TCG225/thermostat-gasket-cleaner/

This little SOB... I've had it in my tool box for years, and never used it... This makes grinding the remains of the rivets down SO MUCH EASIER....Use a bunch of cheap 40 grit roll lock grinding pads....

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-tools/3-in-high-speed-extended-reach-air-cutoff-tool-67996.html

This little $#*()..... oh yeah!!!! lets you get into places to clearance the bed rails... and cut the rivets into peices....

Pics soon!!! My dang drive shaft is frozen and wont collapse....
Be good, but not too good.