Author Topic: Brake light issues  (Read 1444 times)

Offline 1985GMCSierra

• 1985 GMC Sierra
Brake light issues
« on: May 17, 2019, 01:58:22 PM »
I have a 1985 GMC Sierra that has been having some brake light issues. At first, just the right taillight went out and I went to replace the bulb, but that wasn't the problem. I tested the assembly with a test light and everything was working, but then I had to put it in storage for a while and go to school so I didn't mess with it for a few months. Looking at it today, the left taillight won't work either, but when I put a bulb in the right taillight and put on the right turn signal, both taillights and my license plate light flash as if I have my hazards on. When I flip the left taillight, it doesn't flash. It seems like there are some wiring/ground issues, but I'm not sure and don't really know where to start. Any ideas?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Brake light issues
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:23:26 PM »
check the ground behind the left tail light assembly. make sure its good
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:07:26 PM »
The truck probably has compromised grounds for the rear lamps.  There should be ground wire connections to the bed sheet metal hidden behind both tail lamp assemblies.  There may be an additional ground connection to the rearmost cross member, adjacent to the square 4-wire harness plug for the rear lamps.  Physically remove the tail lamps from the bed and then remove the ground wire attaching screws and burnish the sheet metal and wire terminal ends until they are shiny.  Coat the freshly cleaned metal with some antioxidant paste available from the electrical departments of most hardware stores.  Verify that the black ground wires are not corroded or severed.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »
You could also have a bad bulb. Look at bulb filaments real close if they are touching you will get feedback to the the other side. 

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:57:22 PM »
I agree with Irish and bd!

JP's rule of thumb: When electrical goes wonky, look for ground problems.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 05:30:50 AM »
Also remember that the stock GM ground wires may be white on the rear wiring harness.  At least they are on my '75.  No idea why GM did not use a black wire.

Bruce