Author Topic: Hood Quandary  (Read 1135 times)

Offline ehjorten

Hood Quandary
« on: October 08, 2019, 09:02:27 AM »
So on my '91 Crew I have an aftermarket hood.  It was on it when I bought it.  It never really fit that great and the secondary latch never caught the radiator support like it should.  I just don't like it and the the clear coat was peeling.  So...I found what I thought was a straight, used OE hood that had zero rust.

I had it plastic media blasted the other day.  I had it done because I just wasn't sure what lied underneath the paint.  It wasn't in stock paint.  The guys at this media blasters do whole vehicles all of the time and they said they didn't want to hit it too hard because it would warp it.  Sound good.  Sounds like they have some knowledge.  I have had them do other stuff before and they have always done good work.  When I went to go pick it up they said it had quite a bit of bondo in it and that they stopped short of finishing the job because they wanted to know what I wanted them to do.  They didn't want to get to aggressive with it and warp it.  We stopped there, it was mostly down to bare metal.  I figured the rest of the bondo could stay in there and just block it down.

However, now you can feel waviness in the main flat panels.  I don't know if that was there to begin with and just hidden, or if the blasters warped the panel.  My body guy says you would be better off finding a different hood.  He says he can put bondo on it, but there is no guarantee that he'll be able to make it totally smooth, and he says it is a hood, so the flexing, opening, closing, slamming, etc. of the hood could make the bondo lift off.  So now I am like, SH$T!

Last night my brother who is working on a Duramax conversion of a '71 Chev pickup said that he had a spot on his cab roof that was almost a 1/4" deep, like a softball.  He said he took a chunk of sheetmetal, punched it to make a dent, filled it in with a sloppy layer of Evercoat Ultra and then hit it with a hammer, hit it with an air chisel, and even bent it in half.  He said that stuff never lifted from the steel!

So...my question...can I bondo this hood to get rid of the waviness and expect the bondo to stay, or should I abandon all hope and keep looking for another, better hood?  I know there are other hoods out there, it is just the time it takes to take time off of work and travel around to various wrecking yards, up to several hours away to search for the best hood.  I feel like I got screwed by the wrecking yard that sold me this hood.  I know...Caveat emptor!
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Hood Quandary
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »
It doesn't sound like your bondo would be that deep  ;)

I agree with your brother, when applied correctly, I haven't seen it warp.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction