Author Topic: Cummins or Duramax or Detroit thoughts  (Read 16899 times)

Offline roundhouse

Re: Cummins or Duramax or Detroit thoughts
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 04:57:42 AM »
Do all the 6.2/6.5 turbo engines have a computer ?

Or did they make a mech injected one?

I have a 95 Toyota 4 runner with a 3 liter 1KZT turbo  charged engine and It is amazing

Computers and EFI are ok an a gasser if they are not too complicated

But computers on a diesel just make it worse
They take away from the reliability of a diesel

Offline 1HI4x4

• Registered Users
  • V30 Crew now a shortbed.....
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 05:44:33 AM »
I'm thinking if you are swapping a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel, you must be doing it for the novelty effect. Cummins conversions are very simple, you would have to drop some large coin to get the early GM diesels to preform anywhere close to a stock Cummins. If you are just looking for fuel mileage, stick a 4BT in there. They are getting mid 20mpg in half ton setups.

Like I said earlier a Dmax conversion I could understand as they make good power, but are a much more complicated install. You can go to the 4BT Swaps page and read for weeks on conversions of all makes.

1988 V30 Crew Cab, Cummins power, 47RH-NP205, 8" lift, 13.50x35x20 Fuel Mudders on 20x14 XD Diesels -76 offset. Soon to be repainted, seats from a 2010 Lariat to be installed.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 09:52:46 AM »
The 6.2 diesel was a mechanical injection non turbo diesel with no computer.  The 6.5 is a turbo diesel with a computer. As far as I know, this could all be wrong haha.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »

I'm thinking if you are swapping a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel, you must be doing it for the novelty effect. Cummins conversions are very simple, you would have to drop some large coin to get the early GM diesels to preform anywhere close to a stock Cummins. If you are just looking for fuel mileage, stick a 4BT in there. They are getting mid 20mpg in half ton setups.

Like I said earlier a Dmax conversion I could understand as they make good power, but are a much more complicated install. You can go to the 4BT Swaps page and read for weeks on conversions of all makes.
It's a bolt in deal

Way way easier than a custom transplant

I've done both.  And I won't be doing any more custom transplants

Offline 1HI4x4

• Registered Users
  • V30 Crew now a shortbed.....
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »
Bolt in or not, they are duds......performance matters, weather you are building a truck for power or MPG.

The early GM diesels rank right up there with dual tanks with fillers on both sides of the truck in my opinion, not GMs best ideas.........
1988 V30 Crew Cab, Cummins power, 47RH-NP205, 8" lift, 13.50x35x20 Fuel Mudders on 20x14 XD Diesels -76 offset. Soon to be repainted, seats from a 2010 Lariat to be installed.

Offline OneLowOneTon

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 06:50:23 PM »
The early 6.5 turbos were mechanical as well. Which are better but don't have tuner ability of the computer ones. You also have to look at the cost difference between doing a Cummins and a 6.5 you can do a full 6.5 swap for less than the cost of a Cummins motor. Pocket wise the Detroit is best option, but if you have the pockets and want the extra power do a Cummins. If I had the pockets for it I would have a 4-53t Detroit with a roadranger trans.

Offline square81

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 07:14:55 PM »
I've seen the engine, trans and transfer case out of a 4x4 hydro truck in a mid 80's chevy one ton. It was either a big Detroit or international and a 10 speed and a cast transfer case. The guy who built it had a truck shop and put it together over a couple winters. Very awesome truck and could pull like a mother.
I agree the cummins is a great engine and the reliability is second to none. Seeing a juiced up Duramax would be awesome but possibly drain the bank very fast building it.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 01:17:03 AM »
I love that idea haha don't matter which side the pump you end up on! I just wish the system wasn't so temperamental lol.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Norseman

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 03:51:04 PM »
I have a 453T in my 85 F350 and it is a lot of fun to drive...for short distances. It's very loud with the dual stacks. By the time I get 50 miles down the road, I wish I was in one of my other trucks.  That aside, it sure draws looks when I drive through town! You can hear it going through the gears 2 miles away.  Also, it's very dependable. 
77 Chevy K10 SWB, 292/4spd (350 on the engine stand pending rebuild)
1985 Ford F-350 FB, Detroit 453T/4spd/3spd (At least the engine is GM!)
2004 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab 4x4, Cummins/auto (Sorry, I can't own an Isuzu diesel)