Author Topic: Exhuast-Wouldn't have thunk it...  (Read 4866 times)

Offline Thermal Izod

Exhuast-Wouldn't have thunk it...
« on: December 26, 2008, 08:29:19 PM »
A while back I installed full length dynomax headers, 2.25" straight pipes and thrush turbo mufflers.  I couldn't, at the time, install the H-pipe I had for it, so I left it as is...The exhaust sounded great, a low grumble, but non-offensive noise levels.  Today I went back and got the h-pipe in there, right under the tranny's tailshaft.  I did it mostly for sound issues...I had the pipes turned out, exiting out the sides, just before the rear wheels.  At times, it sounded off to me.  You could, under certain engine loads/RPM's really only hear the 4 cyl on the side you were on.  So, I planned to balance it out, not really thinking any performance gains would be signifigant.  on the contrary, just that h-pipe install, left the truck with mild, but noticable low/mid RPM torque improvements.  Just my .02.  Never woulda thought that could make a difference I could feel before the exit of my lengthy, curvey rural driveway.
1982 Shortbed K10 Silverado.  305 ci with a mild cam, full true dual exhaust (Long tube headers, "H" pipe, and Thrush Turbo mufflers.  4x4, and otherwise completely stock.  about 153,000 miles.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Exhuast-Wouldn't have thunk it...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 11:26:26 PM »
cause you added back pressure. IMO you have to balance it out if you want more top end, the less you have. in you want more bottom end, the more you have.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 11:43:38 AM »
I did the same thing with a '99 Suburban a while back.  I had a true dual put in and immediately noticed a soggy bottom end.  It was really disappointing when I flogged it from a dead stop for the first time.  I took it right back to the shop and requested the balance tube I had asked about the first time and was told wouldn't make a noticeable difference.  It was absolutely amazing the difference that little modification made.  The bottom-end was not only back, it was stronger than before.  And the cruising speed resonance was all but eliminated.  When I dual my truck out I'll definitely go with either an h or x pipe balance tube.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Thermal Izod

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 06:36:38 AM »
yea, i mean it's common knowledge of exhaust theory that a cross over pipe balances the 2 cyl banks and increases the scavenging effect of the headers, improving performance of the engine.  It is not that clear, however, how much it actually helps.  I figured you would have to put it on a dyno before and after to see the result, I didn't expect you'd actually feel it in the truck.  I really didn't expect to feel it the first time I put it in gear and gave it some gas....unreal...I STRONGLY advise against 2 straight pipes w/o a balance tube to anyone in the future, the minor headache of the install, and the rather insignifigant cost (under $100 kits are out there) make it a no-brainer if you are doing a full exhuast.
1982 Shortbed K10 Silverado.  305 ci with a mild cam, full true dual exhaust (Long tube headers, "H" pipe, and Thrush Turbo mufflers.  4x4, and otherwise completely stock.  about 153,000 miles.

Offline team39763

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:29:50 PM »
I did a bunch of reading on mustang sites and I made the decision to use a H-pipe in my exhaust.  I originally wanted a X, but I didn't have the resources to make it happen.  Plus on a few of the sites, the general thinking was that Flowmasters sounded better with a H while most other mufflers sounded better with a X.  I have single chamber flows and an H and it sounds pretty good.

Offline oldwhity

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 06:01:35 AM »
I've always been a sceptic when it came to the H or X pipe. Maybe when I finally start my rebuild I'll flange one in. Thanks
Rob G.
81 Chevy K20 4x4 LWB stepside
I enjoy long quiet walks..........in a junkyard!