Author Topic: The Bear  (Read 23647 times)

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
Re: The Bear
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »
Ide choose torque over hp any day
This, I've been told multiple times from different people that torque is that which gets you going; hp only keeps you going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »
This, I've been told multiple times from different people that torque is that which gets you going; hp only keeps you going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These trucks need torque, not hp. The engine I just lost in my truck was only 365-ish hp, but it was 425-ish torque. I built it for torque, to tow.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
I agree. I prefer torque. But here's the numbers. I would lose 50 ft lbs off idle to 1500. Around 2500 it would be even up to about 3500. At 3500 the TPI would start dropping and I would gain about 20 ft lbs to 4000. So really it's just stalling my tq curve off idle. I'm not sure that will justify the higher cost overall. The TPI  (with the engine I've built) will be pretty much maxed without spending big bills on upgrades that can handle more (larger throttle body, runners, injectors, ect). Where as with the fitec there's still room for gains later down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

"Till the wheels fall off"

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
Then yes, you have a decision to make.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »
Been a while since I've given any updates. Although there hasn't been much to update about.
I pulled my carpet and found some rust that will have to be addressed this spring when the weather decides to get right.
I also freshened up the front end. I had busted up my grille on a 4x4 excursion so it was time to repair it. I had the parts stored away just needed to sand them up and repaint and polish them. Also replaced all four sealed beams. I started to go with an HID conversion but there were some things I didn't like about them so I sent them back. I painted the core support behind the grille and removed the plastic trim from the bumper.
Here's the before.
Replacement parts.

After.

I have done a little on the motor as well. After finding some good deals on the parts I'll need I've decided I'm sticking with the TPI. So I cleaned up the fuel rails and gave them some paint. I got a deal on a set of 24lb injectors and a complete engine harness and hardened push rods. 
I know it a crappy pic of the harness but it takes up less space in the box. Lol
I also picked the YOM plate to register on the truck. No more inspections for this truck!
I should be ordering the ECM in the next week or 2 preprogrammed for my motor.
That will leave me with 1.6 rockers, accessories and brackets, and sensors. Should be dropping it in this summer on her 30th birthday.

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2017, 09:51:32 PM »
Quick update
Shortly after my last update, I started cycling and working a little on my health. So money was focus on cycling equipment.
None the less progress is getting back on track. I was able to find a set of brackets from a Chevy caprice wagon that carries the same setup the TPI cars carried. I have also acquired all of my accessories. They have all been cleaned up and painted.
Also scored a set of 1.6 ratio roller tip rockers on CL for $50 still in the package.

For the engine the, all that's left are the sensors and an ECM. I know mentioned before I was gonna order that. But the cycling popped up and money was gone. Lol

Not much has been done to the truck it's self. Just a few odds and ends. I installed a swing case I had stored in the closet for a year or 2. I picked up a Tuffy console. I'll get that installed when I finish pulling the carpet. Also I picked up a CB and got that installed.

Hoping I can get the rust repairs done on the floor soon. That was put on hold due to my compressor tank getting holes in the bottom. I solved that problem by building myself a stainless steel tank. Then I have the pump and motor a freshen up. New seals on the pump and paint for both. So now that's back up and running.

Just waiting for my schedule and the weather to align right to get the floors done.

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2018, 09:32:06 PM »
I'm gonna give some updates.
The motor is complete and is currently getting installed.
 I converted my tcase to a 32 spline input shaft and picked up a TH400 trans. The trans is installed waiting the tcase to go in behind it.
Got my fuel line adapters ordered and on the way. Just need fuel lines and a new harness.
I also picked up a 14bff, rebuilt it and did a disc conversion. It has g80 LSD with 4:10 gears. I also have an 8 lug D44 with matching gears. All waiting for it's day of install. 
I still haven't done anything with the floors yet. I cleaned everything up and painted it all before installing the tuffy console with the CB.
I also got into taking it to the trails which is the reason for the axle upgrades. But I felt rock sliders were warranted for this. So I built some.

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2018, 10:10:53 PM »
Motor is in and hooked up. Working on trying to get it to fire now. Seems to be frying the ICM. I need to get a diagram from the harness builder to make sure his wiring is matched up with my hei pig tail. 
Does anyone know much about the 7 pin icm hei dizzys?

I retro fit an electric fan into my factory fan shroud. The sealed it with expanding foam.  Turned out pretty good. The foam won't be that noticable when installed.

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2019, 08:05:59 PM »
Have you had any updates? Love this build, clean and classy but still unique.  My '83 C10 is going to be getting a TPI top end with a FAST  EZ EFI 2.0 ECM and harness, and some of your would be snags that you've worked around would have been a problem for me also. Also, thank you for your business (Alternator was purchased from my company).
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2019, 09:04:40 PM »
Have you had any updates? Love this build, clean and classy but still unique.  My '83 C10 is going to be getting a TPI top end with a FAST  EZ EFI 2.0 ECM and harness, and some of your would be snags that you've worked around would have been a problem for me also. Also, thank you for your business (Alternator was purchased from my company).
Yes sir there is. Just got my final burned prom and it's running great. I'm running dual thrush welded mufflers and I'm not real thrilled with the sound of them.
Here's the finished engine.
I modified the IAC/coolant pass thru plate. This way hot coolant doesn't heat up the throttle body.
I also made and installed a fuse/relay box. I used a CAT5 cable to run my trigger wires to my switches. That way everything is color coded. The switch panel is installed in the tuffy console.
I had to make my own throttle cable. Mixing my factory cable with a throttle cable from a 2000 Tahoe LS motor.
My harness came from Larry's Electric. Right around $300 to my door. The quality is fantastic and hes very helpful over the phone.
Also picked up a set of H2 wheels for the axles. I'll be powder coating them soon.

Things I need to do:
Fix a power steering leak. Transmission pan leak. Replace the thrush mufflers. Rebuild a 700r4 trans and swap in. I like the durability of the th400 but the loss of the lower 1st gear and OD has been bothering me. Other than that my next steps are insulating the floors and getting the axles in.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2019, 04:51:45 PM »
Dude! You are an animal! Awesome build, very inspiring.

I digging into a 1980 C10 right now, will post pics as I get further.

Sorry about the rust... never sleeps, right?
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
Dude! You are an animal! Awesome build, very inspiring.

I digging into a 1980 C10 right now, will post pics as I get further.

Sorry about the rust... never sleeps, right?
Thanks man. Luckily  the rust isn't too bad. And since I'm not going show conditions, I can cut it out and patch it with small pieces from the hardware store. I plan on using the kilmat that's on Amazon and the home improvement store bubble rolls for insulator, then top all that with vinyl replacement floors from  . Should help with the noise a little at least. Lol
Looking forward to seeing your build!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk