Author Topic: Whats everyone do for a living?  (Read 38304 times)

Offline winky

Whats everyone do for a living?
« on: July 15, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »
Just curious as to what every ones occupation is? Maybe even post a picture of what you do?

I started life out as a mechanic lol, a few years back i received a phone call from the body shop at a chevy dealership i had previously worked for. I took the opportunity to get my foot in the door of the body shop world, i started out doing all the mechanical and now im a full blown collision tech doing frame repairs, panel replacements, and even paint work. Most days its not work, its a hobby but other days its an 8-5 grind lol here are some pics of what i did yesterday and today.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: Whats everyone do for a living?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 11:30:39 PM »
I work at a Chevy Dealer too. I started in the Express Lube, couple months later I moved into the Service dept doing Quality Control, did that for 3 1/2 years, now I'm back in the Express Lube per management reorganization, been doing that since January. I'm hoping to move over to the parts dept as a parts delivery driver. I'm trying to get hired with a police or sheriff department in the area. So I'll be at the dealer until a I can get into law enforcement. I got hired at the dealer just before I graduated high school, been there 4 years 3 months now.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline winky

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 12:23:27 AM »
sweet, sounds like a pretty decent size dealership. we just have a service manager and parts guy in the mechanic shop but we are aksi a pretty small town

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 02:15:24 AM »
We have a sales department, service department and parts department. Our sales department has a commercial side, parts also does wholesale sales to shops all over the valley, service has 17 techs, they also do medium duty service and we have the Express lube. We also have an on site Deli.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 05:09:35 AM »
I am a technical service representative for The Sherwin-Williams Co.  I work for the Product Finishes Division which is expanding rapidly.  Anything new that has a finish/paint/powder coat on it is my customer base.  From trailers, fleet truck refinish, John Deere, Caterpillar, down to someone coating pole barn screws. I tell my kids my job it to watch paint dry...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline 80Chevy4x4

• Registered Users
  • Honey this only costed a couple of dollars!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 05:34:24 AM »
I am Technician at a garage and we repair school buses. Normally it is fairly laid back but in the summer when school is out we have to do brake inspections and D.O.T. inspections and it gets super busy.

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 06:28:55 AM »
I'm a machine operator at a Packaging Corporation of America sheet plant. were a national company i think we have around 90 facilities around the country. I can run several machine throughout the plant but I specialize on a flatbed die cutter made by Bobst. we make boxes, pads, partitions, and just about anything else made out of corrugated sheets but we dont have a corrugator so we dont make the sheets.

me and my partner run one of these. only ours is manually fed and stacked. i feed the board in the rear and he stacks out front.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOVmCZul-Vs

im the backup operator for an Automaton laminator. very similar to this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTFhlI-Gjo

and we are getting one of these bad boys this fall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HoKIVKa6_E
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:04:18 AM by FlatBlack77 »
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 07:37:53 AM »
im going on 10 years in the department of corrections, im still just an officer. havnt had the urge to put on stripes or brass but that might change here in the next year or two. having a lot of people retiring in the next couple of years and if i dont do it then ill have rookies telling me what to do. on the side i turn wrenches on small engines and other vehicles mainly family. i also do some welding for a friend when he needs extra help at his shop.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Rattler12

• Registered Users
  • Old Geezer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 08:14:10 AM »
Absolutely nothing.........cause I'm dad gum good at it. I make myself practice a lot. Wife asked me this morning what I was going to do today. I said nothing. She said you did that yesterday. I said I know but I didn't finish.  Actually retired 6 years from beau coup years in the Public Entity insurance business nationwide.
83 C-10 shorty 454, 5spd, 3:73 posi

Offline Kren420

• 1986 C10 Silverado
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 09:56:03 AM »
I am a journeyman glazier at the local glass shop.  Been there 7 years, started just out of high school.  We do everything related to glass. Auto glass, commercial and residential, along with little service work.  While I have experience in all facets of the job, my expertise is in the Auto glass and service side of things.

Offline winky

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »
looks like we have some pretty interesting jobs on here.

Offline harcorshe

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 10:38:02 AM »
No jokes--please--I'm an attorney. Have my own practice. Mostly represent medical device companies, but my practice is becoming more varied.

'78 K20
TH400
14 Bolt
205 Transfer Case

Offline 80Chevy4x4

• Registered Users
  • Honey this only costed a couple of dollars!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
No jokes--please--I'm an attorney. Have my own practice. Mostly represent medical device companies, but my practice is becoming more varied.

Hey no fun will be made of you....we definitely all need an attorney every now and then and what better lawyer than a fellow Chevy Man :)

Offline SkinnyG

• Registered Users
  • Reducing resale value since 8-track days
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »
There is nothing wrong with attorneys.  When you need an attorney, you need an attorney.  An attorney's job is to fight for their client.  And a good attorney wins.

I'm a high school shop teacher.  Mechanics, Metal, and Drafting.
The Crusty Chevy: 1977 Silverado, shortboxed & dropped, potato-potato.

Offline winky

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 06:54:30 PM »
Harcorshe, how long have you been an attorney? Do you enjoy it?