Author Topic: reciever hitch  (Read 3031 times)

Offline tonyb

reciever hitch
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
Wanted to install a receiver hitch on the 78 k20, ordered one after rep gave me suggested part number for a Draw-tite #41947. well the tails of the side brackets towards the front of the box were too low and hit the new exhaust on the truck. Not wanting to cut that up I opted to send it back to the tune of $30. Has anyone recently installed one that would have a manufacturer and part number that would work. the one I sent back was a class 5, thinking I could get by with a 3 or 4 whatever fits. Any help would be appreciated

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
Re: reciever hitch
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »
If it was a simple problem of the exhaust hitting the new receiver I would have torched the offending part of the receiver or adjusted the exhaust.  Have researched receivers quite a bit for my '83 K10-20 SWB and am resigned to use my existing bumper hitch, else it will be a custom fab job to install a receiver. The old trucks were not designed with receivers in mind and the receiver companies have not gone out of their way to chase a small and dwindling population of old truck.s

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »
I have a Draw-Tite receiver hitch on my truck, but its a tight fit to work around the exhaust and also keep the spare tire mount.  When its all in place I only have about an inch between the spare tire and the exhaust pipes.  I had to relocate the rear hangars to make sure the pipes wouldn't go inward and get too close to the spare.

My hitch is actually from a Suburban, so I had to make some mods/spacers to fit the truck frame (the Suburban frame angles down at the end).  I assume they have a similar model that is a more direct fit for a truck.

Bruce

Offline Spoonbill

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 03:12:16 AM »
I have been looking everywhere too and I'm coming up with nothing as well

Offline jbrow1

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:00:19 PM »
Use this on my 1980 k10.  I had to put 3/4" blocks between it and the frame b/c it hit the stock step bumper.  The receiver tube also sits about 1" in from the very back edge of the bumper.  Very nice hitch though. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009X9F72/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1