Author Topic: Looking for some info/ input on some mods to a c10  (Read 2090 times)

Offline draggin49

Looking for some info/ input on some mods to a c10
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:58 PM »
I'm new to the forum , owned a few c10 4x4 trucks .
A friend of mine wanted a truck but she was saying it's kind of hard for her to drive.And she would like it to be better for daily driving.So I'm offering to help her get to there .
It's a 1977 2wd step side pickup. I am pretty sure the truck has original motor/trans (manual column shift)
The brakes in it are in bad shape. I mentioned to her that upgrading to power front disc would be a huge improvement over worn out stock brakes .

I don't think she wants to change the ride height on it so I'm guessing I don't need spindles .
Anyone have experience with a good front power disc brake conversion kit? Doesn't need some over the top wilwood or Baer setup, motor doesn't make anywhere near the power that would make the cost of those kits worth paying for .

Second thing I was looking into was possibly swapping in an automatic overdrive transmission so that freeway time is easy ,and just overall ease of an automatic.
On my 1949 ford sedan I was able to retain the factory column/shifter And have it shift the ford overdrive transmission i swapped into the car that was out of a wrecked fox body mustang.

I think third item would be power steering upgrade . She's about 100 lbs so it'll probably be easier for her.

Looking forward to input/parts suggestions to make this truck a better daily driver.

Thanks !!!
Luke

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Looking for some info/ input on some mods to a c10
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 07:43:42 AM »
all the things youre talking about i would think about buying a donor with power brakes and steering and swap the stuff over
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline draggin49

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:14:11 PM »
Irish could you tell me what years would work for a donor truck to get that stuff from? I'm assuming a decent amount of years are interchangeable parts wise

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:26:49 PM »
You can pretty much pick any year but aim for the 80s and you'll find a 700r4 trans so you have od
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline draggin49

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:43:52 AM »
Ok cool, I will begin the donor truck search