Author Topic: What heads do I have???  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Spoonbill

What heads do I have???
« on: August 20, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »
Hey guys. Kinda new on here. I have an 87 c-10 305 tbi 700r4. All original with 66,00 miles. We have owned it since it was new. I'm a little confused on what heads I have on it. Some things will say I have the vortec heads and then other things will say vortec didn't come around till 96. I'm sure there are several of you that know so any help would be great. Thanks

Offline Jason S

Re: What heads do I have???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »
An all original '87 would not have Vortec heads.

Off the top of my head -
Truck 'Vortec' heads were introduced for 1996 and differed from previous truck heads in the way the intake manifold mounted and intake port size. They can be used on an earlier SBC, but will require a different intake manifold than stock. 

A stock '87 TBI would have the TBI 'swirl port' head, which ran until 1995. The intake manifold mounting and port size was the same as the previous SBC engines, with the exception of the angle of the middle intake manifold bolt holes.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Spoonbill

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:49:14 PM »
Thank you very much. I was really confused cause if you go jegs or summit and put the info in and go to look for almost anything it will tell you I have vortec heads. Take looking at a new intake manifold or headers and you won't get very much to select from because it will say I vortec heads. I don't get it. Could it be cause they are swirl port heads??

Offline Jason S

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:12:05 PM »
You're right, an intake search can provide all sorts of different options, many not necessarily the right option for a factory engine. Even if the part is carried by the retailer, some searches don't even list the part...

Searches seem to provide the "shotgun" effect probably because there are so many different SBC combinations. Besides the intake linked below for your stock combination, there were plenty of other offerings that wouldn't be applicable to a stock '87 R10 with a 305.

Here is an Edelbrock Performer Aluminum intake for the TBI heads and factory TBI seutp. Jegs also lists this intake with a cam and lifters here

Some references call the TBI heads 'Swirl Port' because of a slight ramp in the intake runner that was designed to introduce a swirl into the intake charge.  The heads were pretty good for lower rpm uses, even more options nowadays with advances in designs.

1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"