Author Topic: To stick or not to stick?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Spoonbill

To stick or not to stick?
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »
Hey guys, it's been a while. I have an 87 chevy r10 305 tbi 700r4. My question is this. I really miss having a stick in a truck. Much more flexibility. Should I change to a stick and if so what all will I have to do? I am in the fence here so any help would be great. Thanks

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
Re: To stick or not to stick?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »
You need hydraulic pedal assembly, (R is 2wd? Right) if so grab a NV3500 from a 90's 1/2 ton gives you overdrive. And that should be it, maybe the driveshaft yoke will need to be changes to correct for spline out put changes. Not bad at all. Oh, plus appropriate flywheel and clutch, plus the master, slave and clutch lines.

The hydraulic pedal assembly is typically the hardest to find.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline Spoonbill

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 03:33:37 PM »
Cool. Thanks

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:29:25 AM »
I have a 3500 in my 76 K-10

The Trans you want is from a 97-07 full size pickup
The S-10s had the same Trans but the bell housing bolt pattern is different

I could not find a hydraulic clutch assembly and just made my own by drilling a hole in the pedal and installing a bolt
For the master cylinder rod to slide onto

Also when you install the master cylinder , don't try to drill the bolt holes ahead of time
Drill the large hole and then use the mc determine where to drill the small holes

I used threaded rod for the mounting bolts so I could adjust the mc a little ways out from the firewall

I couldn't find a mc with an adjustable rod

I used a reservoir from some small car like a Mazda or Honda

The hyd hose at the Trans will be a custom made one

Order the new hose from GM and take it to a shop that makes hyd hoses
The place I took mine to cut off the ends of the GM hose and welded on some fittings they had in stock and then made a hose
I used parts of the stock 87 hose but it would be easier to just have the shop make it all flexible hose

I had a really hard time bleeding all the air out of the hyd lines
And had to use a hand vacuum pump , not on the bleeder valve but on the pressure hose
I disconnected the hose from the mc and out the hand vac on the hose and put some vacuum on it and just let it sit for a hour or so

I used car-part.com to locate a Trans , finding a 4wd 3500 was not easy
I was able to use the same factory cross member and mount. But I think we had to move it back a little , don't remember for sure

If you decide for sure to do this PM me , I may still have the flywheel and clutch laying around
I don't remember all the details but I think the 3500 uses the stock clutch and a different disc