Author Topic: dually lugnut seat angle  (Read 8283 times)

Offline Big Chip

Re: dually lugnut seat angle
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 06:10:24 AM »
You can’t tell that my factory lug nuts and my rings are not 60 degrees from the pictures??

I am aware of the lug nut I need to make the center caps work and that was never my question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
And to clarify, the ring and the lug seat are the same angle and that angle isn’t 60. It’s closer to 45 degrees. That was the basis of my question. Clearly you don’t see the difference in the pictures where the lug nuts are next to each other for comparison.

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »
And to clarify, the ring and the lug seat are the same angle and that angle isn’t 60. It’s closer to 45 degrees. That was the basis of my question. Clearly you don’t see the difference in the pictures where the lug nuts are next to each other for comparison.

how did you figure the seat angle? Vilezambonie says factory lugs are 60* seat angle, the conversion 9/16-18 external thread lug nuts are 60* seat angle and the direct replacement lug nuts listed as for a K30 are also a 60* seat angle on the summit website, So where did you get your seat angle from? because i can not find anything suggesting any seat angle other than 60* in your application

K30 lug nuts: https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/make/chevrolet/model/k30/department/wheels-tires/part-type/lug-nuts?N=4294951398%2B4294949485%2B4294950865%2B4294947616&retaillocation=int
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »
Look at the pictures. One nut is the one I took off the truck and the other is a 60 degree duplex nut.  Just because he says the OE nut is 60 degrees doesn’t make it so.   I’m not sure if K30’s are different than C35’s but you can see as well as I can the seat angles on those two nuts are not the same.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:12:20 PM by zieg85 »

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »
Correction:  you can see as well as I can the seat angles on those two nuts are different.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 06:36:48 PM »

So, do this...

Remove one of the rings from a wheel.  Burnish a couple of the tapered lug nut seats in the ring using some steel wool.  Do the same thing for a couple of the "new" lug nut tapers.  Smear the cleaned tapered seats with some Prussian Blue dye and reinstall the ring on the wheel, but don't install lug nuts on the two studs protruding through the holes with the dyed seats.  Now, thread the 'new' lug nuts down onto the studs with dyed seats, until the nuts are seated by hand.  Remove the nuts and check the witness marks left by the dye.  That should reveal whether the tapered faces are making the appropriate contact and whether the lug nuts will properly seat into the ring.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 06:43:13 AM »
Unless you've had the truck since new it is most likely mismatched parts, wheels and or nuts from an early 70's model. Do as bd said to check your seat contact pattern.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 07:50:17 AM »

So, do this...

Remove one of the rings from a wheel.  Burnish a couple of the tapered lug nut seats in the ring using some steel wool.  Do the same thing for a couple of the "new" lug nut tapers.  Smear the cleaned tapered seats with some Prussian Blue dye and reinstall the ring on the wheel, but don't install lug nuts on the two studs protruding through the holes with the dyed seats.  Now, thread the 'new' lug nuts down onto the studs with dyed seats, until the nuts are seated by hand.  Remove the nuts and check the witness marks left by the dye.  That should reveal whether the tapered faces are making the appropriate contact and whether the lug nuts will properly seat into the ring.

Excellent idea!  I will be doing as you suggested. 

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »
In case anyone is interested for future reference, stock dually lug nuts on a 1979 C3500 have a 1” hex and a 90 degree conical seat angle. I can’t speak for other years but I believe they were the same from sometime in the 60’s to 87 with dual wheel. They are NOT 60 degrees and were never 60 degrees from the factory.