Author Topic: Dash Lights Keep Blowing Fuses  (Read 1678 times)

Offline dtaylor7897

Dash Lights Keep Blowing Fuses
« on: December 16, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
Hey guys

In my 79 K20 Burb, I replaced the dash lights with LEDs last week. I did it blindly and didn't remove the dash so I just yanked out the old halogens from the front instead of pulling them out of the back. I regret not doing that because the LED dash lights were very temperamental, turning off and on as I'm going down the road. But that's beside the point. They were working fine until one night I was just sitting at a red light and all my dash lights went out. I thought I checked the fuse but it looked ok so I took apart the dash. Turns out I was looking at the wrong fuse and the instrument cluster fuse was popped. So I replaced it and turned the dash lights on and it blew the fuse again. Where could this be shorting out or what could be the issue here?

P.S. I replaced the headlight switch, to no avail.

Let me know what you guys think.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Dash Lights Keep Blowing Fuses
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 08:11:09 AM »
Halogens? You are talking about the instrument cluster bulbs correct? Why are you hesitant to remove the cluster assembly? I would suggest that you do so and replace the fuse. If it stops popping the fuse then the problem is in the cluster. Carefully clean and inspect the printed circuit. Pulling and pushing on the bulb sockets will cause intermittent connectivity. You can repair a damaged printed circuit if you know how to solder otherwise you can purchase a replacement printed circuit. Be cautious not to damage it when removing the connectors. Pay attention to the positioning of the cluster as well since the left hand lower portion resides behind the metal frame.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10