Author Topic: Emissions  (Read 11345 times)

Offline traumajunkie

Emissions
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
I want to remove the emissions off my 84' 250, half the hoses lead to nothing anyways or are missing completely.. I am not sure what to keep and what to remove
911 Please State Your Emergency

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: Emissions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:30:19 AM »
Post a few pics of your engine bay
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline traumajunkie

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »
This is the only 1 I have right now (I circled in red some main ports) I can get more if needed, There is a port for 5 vacuum lines right in front of the thermostats that has ONLY 1 hose going from the far right tracing to the valve connected to the valve on the valve cover and then there is a tube going from the back/top of the valve cover leading to that same valve with a t adapter and a hose leading to nothing

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »
Looks like a thermactor on the air filter housing, a.i.r. pump hose, diverter valve, ported vacuum switch on the thermostat housing, pcv valve.  At the very least, I'd hook up the pcv, as it's not really emission equiptment.  The thermactor isn't either, it just closes a valve in the air intake to force hot air from your exhaust manifold when the engine is cold.  The other pieces work in conjunction for emissions.
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline traumajunkie

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »
what pcv are you referring too..

Offline traumajunkie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 10:22:50 AM »
the thermactor Is the opening on the bottom of he air filter which goes straight down near the swing arm correct ? That piece was already missing and the opening it goes into leads to nothing except the ground

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
what pcv are you referring too..
The pcv valve is in your highest red circle, it pushes into the valve cover with a rubber grommet.  PCV actually stands for positive crankcase ventilation, and relieves pressure caused by oil and gas vapor, and re-burns it through the engine, and extends the life of gaskets and seals.  The bottom side of your air filter housing inlet should have a (roughly) 1-3/4 hole that a "foil"-like tube that runs to your exhaust manifold that draws only hot air when starting your engine cold.  A lot of those go missing over the years, as the foil-paper tube gets pretty brittle with age.  If you live in warm-weather country, you'll probably have no use for it. 
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline traumajunkie

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 10:44:57 AM »
Ok so the pcv you said to keep where does the hoses go, obviosuly from the valve cover to the  valve connected to the cover but then there is one more hose that branches off, And If I keep that what else do i eliminate

Offline roger97338

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »
When General Motors discovered how much cleaner engines ran with Positive Crankcase Ventilation systems, they shared their solution with the other American auto makers, royalty free. Before PCV, engines used a 'road tube,' which vented unburned hydrocarbons, unfiltered in any way, almost directly onto the roadway. They also slobbered a fair amount of oil onto the highways and newly-built freeways.

I have a hard time picturing any company in the current era performing such an altruistic act.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:59:00 AM by roger97338 »

Offline traumajunkie

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 05:58:05 PM »
I appreciate the reply's, after doing some research I found that a bad pcv will cause an oil leak, i have replaced the pcv but can not figure out what it connects to, does it go to the manifold or the carb?? There was a hose on the old one that just sat between the carb and manifold but was not connected. (4.1L inline 6)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 11:28:19 PM »
it goes to manifold vacuum. i dont know why but my cummins just has a vent tube and its a 1987 guess maybe due to the turbo? or they just didnt care
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline traumajunkie

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 11:52:37 PM »
I have looked, i do not see anything on the manifold or carb, i am contiplating just placing a breather in place of the pcv

Offline traumajunkie

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 09:12:08 AM »
I am running out of patience, I have checked all service manuals and cannot find where the pcv connects to, there is no spot on the carb nor on the manifold. I did find a vacuum line/ leak on the side of the block in between the front and back push rod covers which I cant find any info on either... any more help would be gratefully appreciated

Offline traumajunkie

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:45 AM »
I also find it confusing that i have a pcv valve in the back and a pcv hose in the front??? :o

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 10:42:32 AM »
One valve cover needs to have a breather filter or be piped back to main air filter housing

And the other needs to have a PCV valve and tube back to intake manifold or carb base

Look close.  Somewhere on the carb base or intake manifold will be a 5/16 or 3/8 nipple for a vacuum line

Or a plug or cap where someone capped it off

Mine runs much better wih it disconnected
I realize that means I have some problem
  But we can't figure out what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk