Author Topic: frame change  (Read 2407 times)

Offline aprice

• Registered Users
frame change
« on: September 22, 2003, 03:40:00 PM »
i bent the frame on my mud truck this past weekend beyond fixing. the truck was a 1977 chevy k20. but i have an old k-5 blazer that the body is rusted through on. would i be able to but just a standard cab on it and my 3/4 axles on it?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
K5 truck
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 06:06:00 AM »
Yes, you will need the rear cab mount cross member from the truck. Its pretty simple swap other than the cross member. I set the cab on and get the front four mounts lined up and tighten them down. Then make the cross member fit. I had to set mine on top of the frame and used angle iron to get the cross member to sit flat on the sloped part of the frame. As far as the axles go they will bolt right in. I have since sold this rig, the kid that bought it moved the axle back about 4" so he could use a step side bed on it.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline aprice

• Registered Users
re
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 10:40:00 PM »
ther are axles under the frame but i'll be swaping my engine, tranny and transfer case. but my 2ns question would be would it possiable to use those axles or would it be best to put my 3/4 ton axles under as well?

Offline Unixluv

Re: re
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 02:17:00 AM »
Most things on the K5 should swap with little problems.  I would swap the 3/4 ton axles to get the extra strength from them, and because they are more in demand, you may get more money from it if you decide to sell it.  If you are into mudding, I would recommend the bigger axles.  If this is just an around-town beater, then either will work.