Author Topic: 82 shortbox bent frame  (Read 2048 times)

Offline TJAMESW

• New Users
82 shortbox bent frame
« on: November 08, 2003, 10:50:00 AM »
OK, here's the deal.  
            Bought the truck to restore.  Right away had the front end looked at.  Technician said it needs front end work, he never did computer align it since there was no need to.  So, assuming I only needed front end work I went ahead and installed a new motor ($3000 later ).  Now, I always new the steering wheel was cocked to one side assuming again it was because it needed front end work.  Well, I had the truck being worked on, they noticed the wheel was crooked and they had some free time to look at it.  They were able to computer align it and found that the steering wheel is where it's supposed to be, but the rearend is kicked about a 1/2'' to the right.  So they told me the frame is bent.  Is this right????  Do I need to take it to a body shop and have them put it on a frame rack or could it be a bent spring or what.   HELP!!!!!

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Frame
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 07:46:00 PM »
I would take it to a frame shop and have it mesured. If you have a level concrete floor you can mesure it. Clean the floor, park the truck in the claen spot. Take a plumb bob drop it down from 8 identical pionts on the frame. Mark these points with chalk. Move the truck and cross mesure the points like you would square up forms for a foundation or a deck frame. Thease mesurements should be identical or pretty close to it.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs